Honored Contributor

Not a soap opera fan but on our noon news they just made an announcement that starting today this program would only be available on paid streaming service Peacock.

I bet this will make some people very sad and some very mad.  More importantly, is this a trend other favorite TV shows will follow?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 - I'm a DAYs viewer since the beginning and I am both sad and mad.  You should read the comments on the DAYs thread here.  It's bad enough after 57 years they switched it to streaming but to then be forced to pay is insulting to the long time loyal viewers.   I admit I chose the cheapest plan to watch on Peacock. It's a part of my daily routine - have lunch and watch DAYS.   It wasn't the money, but the principle.  Most comments on social media agree and most refuse to pay.  For the elderly or those on fixed income they can't afford a few dollars more, in addition to high cable bills.

Another example is Dancing with the Stars, now only available to stream on Disney. I love the show, and have watched since the beginning, but refuse to pay Disney.  I think this will be the norm eventually where almost everything will go to streaming. 

Respected Contributor

I'm so sick of these huge companies being so greedy.  TV is the only form of entertainment many people have.  Now it's all about paying for everything.  With prices so high on necessities, how can those on a fixed income compete?  So wrong in so many ways.  They replaced Days with outdated programs and some kind of news program.  My TV will stay off.  On the positive side, I will be able to get lots of stuff done.

Honored Contributor

Days of Our LIves has been on the televisions in our homes almost my entire life, as it's been on almost my whole life. I remember it from a very young age (pre school age). 

I was ok with it going to streaming on Peacock, as it was free, until today. 

I'm not paying for any streaming services. Just not going to do it at this time. It's very sad for me to not be watching anymore, but it is what it is. They will either end up cancelling it in due time, or open it up for free, when people stop watching by the millions. 

You live long enough, and most of the stuff you rely on, are used to, enjoy using, become dependent on etc. comes to an end. For me, I guess this is just another one of those things. 

Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

I'm so sick of these huge companies being so greedy.  TV is the only form of entertainment many people have.  Now it's all about paying for everything.  With prices so high on necessities, how can those on a fixed income compete?  So wrong in so many ways.  They replaced Days with outdated programs and some kind of news program.  My TV will stay off.  On the positive side, I will be able to get lots of stuff done.

@brandiwine 

This is so true! My mom is 86. I know there are a lot of older viewers who will not be able change over, whether it's financial, or like her, doesn't have any type of cell phone, computer, or internet services. 

Honored Contributor

We have been discussing this here on the Days thread for 6 weeks now, will work for some, not for others. Many get it for free with their cable company. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Not a soap opera fan but on our noon news they just made an announcement that starting today this program would only be available on paid streaming service Peacock.

I bet this will make some people very sad and some very mad.  More importantly, is this a trend other favorite TV shows will follow?

I don't stream so it wasn't a hard decision for me. But, TTYTT, it's gotten so sleazy lately, and I know it will be more so being on at night, that I'm OK with it. I'll read the daily summaries for a while but I'm sure I will eventually lose interest. A good way to wean myself, instead of going cold turkey.

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline  It is not on necessarily at night.  Peacock drops new episodes M-F at 6am ET.  So it is on any time of day.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

@Judaline  It is not on necessarily at night.  Peacock drops new episodes M-F at 6am ET.  So it is on any time of day.

I guess the higher ups know little kids don't know how to stream so they can get as risque as they want. Usually these kinds of things are on after 10pm but I guess I'm behind the times.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

That's a shame, more $$ going into streaming. Never watched Days but watched All My Children & One Life to Live periodically from their 1st episodes.  They went to streaming however didnt last long in that format.

Streaming just one more added cost and decisions to be made how to allocate our shrinking entertainment funds.