Respected Contributor

Re: Days of Our Lives- actors released from contract

Loved Bo and Hope and Doug and Julie!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Days was my soap.

I watched when it was Bo & Hope, Steve & Kayla, Jack & Jennifer. Heck, I even remember Eugene & Calliopie!

I was there for the Salem Serial Killer, and Tony DiMerra. He may have been a DiMerra, but, boy, was he ever easy on the eyes, and that velvet voice of his!

But, gone are the "Days" (sorry about the pun!) when soaps ruled daytime.

Gone are the days when housewives would tune in to their stories.

Gone are the days when college students would schedule their classes around a soap opera.

Times change.

I stopped watching Days a long time ago.

Every so often, I would try to get in to it again, but I just couldn't. I don't know if I changed, if the writing and stories changed, or if it was both, but I just lost interest in it.

When I heard the news on my car radio as I was driving home today, my jaw literally dropped.

I can only imagine what it must have been like when the actors were informed of this news.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Days is the only soap that I have not watched.

If this one goes, then we are left with 2 on CBS, Y&R and B&B

and General Hospital, ABC.

Probably soon replace with another trash talk show.

Honored Contributor

Years ago, I recorded Days and watched a whole week's worth in one sitting -  took just over an hour as I zipped past the repetition within the programs and the commercial interruptuons.  

Haven't watched for years, but apparently I'm not the only one.  According to the article I saw, Days isn't the only soap that isn't as popular as in the past.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear this. I'm not a viewer, but was for many years in my teens and early 20's. Say what they will but I don't think it'll be back. Releasing all their contract actors and going on indefinite hiatus sounds like a way for them to ease out gradually. Soaps are more costly to produce than insipid game shows and there are already too many talk shows, but soaps have deteriorated badly in recent years. Daytime programming can't get much worse. Then again, nework prime time viewing isn't much better. I remember when every network had four or so soaps each. With this one gone, only three will remain for however long they stay on the air. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I just saw this. I watched it when I was in college and then for few yrs afterwards. I have not seen it for some time now. I am sure there are characters and actors that I would know. This seems to be the way that all soap operas are going now. 

Valued Contributor

Sounds like the end is coming, and I'm sorry to see that.

I've got about 56 shows recorded that I haven't watched yet. I lost interest with all the people coming back from the dead, masks, etc. Some of the story lines are just insulting to the intelligence IMHO.

Honored Contributor

Remember years back when our old soaps were replaced by so many of those Dr shows telling us how to live?

Now it seems like it might, not like I know, be talk shows.

I love watching soaps.  It’s one of the few things left that we/I can criticize, tear up, be happy and sad, like/dislike a villain or a good guy.

All that and not hurt the feelings of someone.  In our soaps, at least, I feel like free speech is alive and well....for the next few minutes anyway.

Trusted Contributor

There's some specualtion that they made this public to drum up ratings which is pretty smart I'd say. It seems to be a logical step since they are filmed through August and if they aren't going to get renewed it would be a waste.

Trusted Contributor

i watched it for at least 15 yrs.. i gave up on it about 4 yrs ago.... all the good actors left.. i watched it when sami was on.. ej...  now i turn it on and recognize a few of the old ones...  it tottaly changed the past 5 or so yrs... amd i dont miss it at all... but im depressed it may end.. but like i told my mom yrs ago... how much longer will it be on?  most all soaps are done. only a few left.