Honored Contributor

Days of Our Lives- actors released from contract

[ Edited ]

I just read on TMZ that NBC has let the entire cast out of their contracts, freeing them to get other jobs if they wish. 

It said the the soap will be going on indefinite hiatus.  Season 55 is getting ready to start and a decision will be made in early 2020 whether to renew it for season 56.  

It says they're halting production in late. November, but there are enough episodes already shot to take them into next summer. 

It has not necessarily been cancelled.  A decision will be made whether to bring it back and probably at lower salaries. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Days of Our Lives- actors released from contract

[ Edited ]

Yes, this sad news was already posted on the Days thread, speaking as one who has been with it since 1965, it is very disheartening to say the least. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

Yes, this sad news was already posted on the Days thread, speaking as one who has been wih hit since 1965, it is very disheartening to say the least. 

I'm sorry, I didn't follow that thread so I thought I  was a news breaker!  

It was my moms favorite soap. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

It sounds like they run the risk of actors not being available, if and when the soap returns from hiatus.  They'd have to hire replacements, which I'm guessing wouldn't go over well with the faithful.

Esteemed Contributor

I am a GH fan and would be upset if that were ever cancelled.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh I have watched this show off and on since the 70's and it has taken a year leap this week.  I am confused as to why the writers would steer in this direction and not very happy with the program currently.  I do not watch talk shows and "Days" is truly my guilty pleasure during the day.

Respected Contributor

That news doesn't sound promising for the return to filming.    I stopped watching DOOL years ago but it was such a favorite of mine in the 70's and 80's.  

Hopefully the outcry from the fans will be enough for them to return.   I don't like to see the end of an era for the soap opera genre.

Honored Contributor

I'm not in denial so am saying good bye to the show. Have definitely enjoyed it for awhile, but all good things must come to an end. Cost is always a factor and I'm sure the actors will be looking for other roles.

Honored Contributor

I used to watch it religiously back in the heyday of 'Bo' and 'Hope', but I haven't seen it for years now.

I think that like the prime time scripted shows, daytime talk/reality shows are cheaper to produce.

Honored Contributor

It costs a fortune to produce a soap opera and so much less to produce a talk show, this is why the soaps have left the airways and a gazillion talk shows are upon us now.