Respected Contributor

Re: Days of Our Lives Fans Big News

@MamaWick Thanks for the info on the NBC link.  I'm going to email them now.  The only place I get Peacock (and I'm only guessing it's free) is out on my lanai.  I live in Florida.  If you think I'm gonna go sit on my perch out in the Florida heat and humidity to watch our silly show, you're crazy.  My in-house cable bill was just whittled down to a "mere $221" a month so I'm not going to pay anything additional to watch it.  I really enjoyed DVRing it and relaxing in the evening watching in my comfy chair.  I'm not happy.

Occasional Contributor

I am so disappointed to read this.   I'm a huge DOOL fan.   Well, I guess it's the end of an era.

Respected Contributor

@Jackson08 @jlkz - I agree with both of you.I think the real name for television should be "tell-a-vision", and no, I cannot take credit for "tell-a-vision", because I saw that spelling of the word only yesterday for the first time. How many times has a TV show incorporated "real-world events" in a slanted way meant to shape our perception of the events, in order to to get us to think in a certain way? Countless times, including on DOOL. (The long ago "Sami's baby story" plotline when her "daughter", who was a switched at birth baby and not actually "her" baby, died of meningitis, although her real baby was alive and well. Remember the commercials during that story line? I do. The network was constantly promoting the Men B s-h-o-t-s. This baby death plotline was presented immediately after Abe and Lexi Carver's son Theo was diagnosed with aut-is-m and he was given special gluten-free cookies to eat by Lexi, a non-mainstream idea at the time.) I am seriously considering cancelling my cable TV entirely so I can just use rabbit ears, whenever I feel the rare "desire" to turn on my TV to watch something. 

News is "noise", indeed.

Esteemed Contributor

I just e-mailed NBC to complain, but I don't think it will do any good.  As angry as I am about their decision, I'm also sad and feel like I am losing an old friend.

@BarbiHollywood - My bill is around $230 a month and I refuse to pay to watch Peacock, even if it is "only $4.99 a month". Right now it's free, but if they switch it to paying, I'm done with the show.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've watched off and on for decades, but I stopped when Marlena got "repossessed".

I thought that storyline (and the acting) were insulting to the viewers' intelligence. 

Honored Contributor

Don't even get me started on today's supposed 'news'... Too much of it, most of it slanted, opinion rather than fact and most of it not really 'news' at all... As for the demise of soaps, the truth is that they've largely been replaced with reality TV, where folks who so desire can find far more trashy content than the soaps, once considered risque. Personally, I miss the days of top notch writing, acting and production values, which we haven't seen in several decades. I hate to see them go, but today's soaps are a shadow of what they once were. The old New York based Proctor and Gamble TV soaps were better than anything the networks now offer, day time or prime time.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I'm another who has watched Days since "Day One" so I was disappointed when I heard this news at the end of today's local NBC news program at 11:00 am.  They did say you could download the free Peacock app, but I already signed up for an account on  Peacocktv.com on my desktop for the free stuff.  I do not plan to pay for the Plus programming.  Not sure I'll watch Days anymore or not.  I really don't like watching programs on my desktop.  Certainly don't want to watch on their app on my phone!  That's one reason we bought a big screen TV.  Think I will write to NBC and protest, although I doubt at this point that will do any good.  

Esteemed Contributor

I hope this is okay to post.  I'm going to try this direct email, and will call, too.

20220804_120658.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Sounds like they'll phase out broadcasting of NBC and will become only a streaming service. I think they will.  Besides Soaps are passe now. They really are melodrama. And most of them are gone. That type of genre doesn't fit watching them in this modern world. 

Frankly I'm surprised soaps have lasted this long.  Younger generations are used to nonstop social media plus a massive choice of things to watch on streaming. Soaps seem silly compared to the more complex shows on cable and streaming.

What's ridiculous is Days could be doing some complex stuff since they have five hours a week. Instead it's turned into, well I'm not sure what. It's almost like they want the show to be campy but aren't really there so it's just bad.

Honored Contributor

Been confirmed that Days will only air on the paid Peacock subscription, not on the one offered for free.