Trusted Contributor

Re: David Visetin Love it or List it

@moonandthestars , I completely agree with you. However, in my humble opinion I LOVE HOMETOWN. Erin and her husband have more affordable ideas and appear to be throughly enjoy their program. I think several months ago I read an article that stated most of these HOME RENOVATIONS are scripted. Couples have already chosen thei rhomes. I may be wrong but I believe I did read this article. Have a good LABOR DAY

Honored Contributor

I enjoy both of them and the show.  Have watched it on and off for years and still enjoy it.  What bothers me most is when the homeowners up their budget for a new house but don't add money to the renovations.  And, of course, moving entails additional expenses not ever mentioned.

I do wonder how many people who "list" their homes actually move into the one shown on the program.

Honored Contributor

This an interesting thread.

I loved David and Hillary for the first couple years or so, but as the owners' comments grew more and more scripted and predictable, I lost interest.

My current favorite is "Good Bones" but I usually watch about 45-50 minutes and leave before the reveal. 

If I were the producer of the show, I'd limit the new home owner to one use of the word "cute" and require using more varied and unique superlatives. "Cute" after 14+ repetitions loses its...........well, "cute".

LOVE that show, though.

Honored Contributor

I found that couple,especially him, to be so annoying that I only watched it a couple of time early on.

Regular Contributor

@NickNack I agree.  I think Hillary is so talented.  Her designs are so tasteful and they all look different.  I get so bored with some design shows when every house turns out looking almost the same.

Honored Contributor

@Flyer98 wrote:

@NickNack I agree.  I think Hillary is so talented.  Her designs are so tasteful and they all look different.  I get so bored with some design shows when every house turns out looking almost the same.

@Flyer98   That's one of the main things I like about her, too, that each design looks different.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I think this show is definitely scripted. It is always the same format. I used to watch it a lot but stopped because it is always the same repeated scripts.

The catastrophy that needs more money to renovate. The 3 houses where the first 2 are not at all acceptable.

But I do agree that Hillary's designs are so appealing! It is hard not to "like" them. She seems to design to the home and to what means a lot to the couple. I love seeing what she does.

And House Hunters is scripted too. A close friend of ours was on the international one. They said they had already bought their house and the show just chose 2 others to make it seem like they were undecided.

Same with the Bachelorette.

My daughter's friend said she was told what to say and do. They would choose some to be the bad girl etc. She decided to pull out. Just did not like the whole premise of the required scripts.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Reever  As stated this is a scripted show. Most of the homes that are shown are not even for sale. I do agree about Hilary, I think her designs are the best on hgtv, or they just are my taste. As for personality Ben and Erin on Home Town really come  across as two people who really love what they are doing. Good Bones is a favorite show. I like Mina's "crew". 

Valued Contributor

No, they are not married to each other..Fact Check...lol

What show are you watching....

Esteemed Contributor

Given how volatile the home market is, there’s no way they can spend weeks looking at homes and expect the one they want would still be available when Hilary is finished. I have no doubt that the couple already know they are keeping the house or have already bought the next one. I find this show almost unwatchable with the couple bickering and constant scripted issues that come up. I agree that Hilary does a fantastic job (although I believe I’ve read an article that what you see is not always indicative of what the entire house looks like and they leave a mess. Heck, another article even claims that two endings are filmed and what you see may not be what the couple actually decided!)

I’ve begun to like Christina on the Coast - I like the two guys she works with and the relationship with the homeowners seems more realistic and professional. Really like her designs too.