Honored Contributor

Re: David Foster, 72, on Father's Day...

Just saw a picture online of Richard Gere and his wife at the beach with their two sons .... ages 2 and 3 years old.  

Super Contributor

Tony Randall also had 2 children late in his 70’s with his second wife. They were pretty small when he passed away snd always felt bad for them growing up
without a father. They are in their 20’s now and sure doing well! Always likeTong Randall,; esp in the Odd Couple!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Just saw a picture online of Richard Gere and his wife at the beach with their two sons .... ages 2 and 3 years old.  

He married this one in 2018 after divorcing the last one in 2016.  Wife is 39.  Richard is 72.

Esteemed Contributor

Off topic, but Richard Gere wears 72 much better than David Foster!!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Not exactly a happy (or flattering) picture of anyone.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

She likes older men.  Her first husband was 19 years older. She cheated on him with a guy that was 10 years older.  She's chosen Grandpa Foster to father her child.

DF is extremely talented.  She not so much.  Her acting is robotic and her singing is a bit screechy. She's frequently talked about conquering anorexia and accepting her body, yet she posted pictures of her pregnant body non stop.  After she gave birth, she posted pictures of her body seemingly fixated on her flat stomach. She reminds me of Hilaria Baldwin and her need to post pictures of her pregnant and post-pregnant body.

Respected Contributor

@ladyfox412 "She's chose Grandpa Foster to father her child."

Your post made me laugh.  At least his son will have a combination father/grandfather figure in his life.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Obviously this was a love match.  The two of them are music fanatics. What better and more wonderful way to celebrate their love than to create a baby together?

Yes, he is 72.  But he is in great shape and could live twenty-five years more, and definitely be there to watch his child grow up.

Many children lose their fathers when they are young, whether from health issues, or employment dangers, war, crime, and so forth.  Nobody can ever predict the future!

I say congrats to them, and more power to those who live life to the fullest!

@FancyPhillyshopper Child of older parents (not that old) here so I speak from experience.  It is very difficult because you understand your father won't be around--in this case far sooner than mine--which is fearful for a child that has any relationship with a father.

Chances his pevious children aren't going to be there with open arms for the baby, and it is doubtful whether or not he will have cousins or aunts and uncles around.  

You can excuse it and say "could happen" but an only child of older parents is looking at "will happen" and at quite possibly growing up basically without family.  And I am here to tell you sometimes it is lonely and very difficult.  Hit your late 30's and the people you grew up with are gone.  Family get togethers, meals, talks, etc.  

People think how cute, but don't remember what is ahead of the kid, and often it isn't easy, money or not. 

Every situation is different. It's too bad you are taking the Doom and Gloom prophesy @Sooner .

Foster must be on auto-delivery for little blue pills. 😉

@Pearlee The too bad part is that people who want kids don't have them sooner or think about what will my child face in life.  Will the child have to bury his family at 30?  Will they have any siblings, cousins or family they are close to who won't die before they are adults and started in life?

If they have no family at 30, do they have other close relatives or support?  And it's doom and gloom for a whole lot of kids of older kids who DO NOT.  Some people need to wake up and face the music without leaving kids to do it ALONE.  

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

My father's mother (my grandmother) died from tuberculosis when he was twelve years old. He had two younger brothers, one only three.

She was in her early thirties. 

The brothers were separated, and did not meet again until they were adults.

Being a young parent is no guarantee.  

Blood family is not the only family--there is also the family of the heart.  

Many teenagers are in foster care waiting to be adopted, and would take any parent, no matter the age.

Rich old fathers like David Foster and Mick Jagger can provide for their babies long after they are gone.

Old guarantees you WON'T be around, and oddly enough money isn't everything.  HAVE YOUR KIDS YOUNGER

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  I understand exactly what you mean.  I was also born to older parents although I did have a brother 9 years older than me.  My father passed away when I was 18 and my mother passed away when I was 33.  All of my family is gone except for a few distant cousins who I never met at all.  All of my aunts and uncles and 1st cousins are all gone now.  

My husband's parents lived into their 80's so he had his parents most of his life.  When I meet people who are in their late 50's and both parents are still alive it seems strange to me.  I would have loved to have my parents still with me as I reached middle-age and older.  

I completely agree with you that people need to consider their age when they make the conscious decision to have a child.  Certainly people such as the two discussed here have plenty of money and their children will not want for any material things but money can't make up for the loneliness that you can feel when it seems like everyone around you has family and you are alone.