Honored Contributor

Re: David Cassidy slurs, falls, forgets during concert

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Perhaps it was drugs or alcohol but maybe he had a stroke or some other medical emergency. 

@chrystaltree  No. just  his addiction.

Obviously, you got that all wrong.  So many people were so anxious to see the worse in the man that he was forced to disclose that he's suffering from dementia. 

Honored Contributor

This is so sad to hear.  I only wish the best for him and his family.

Super Contributor

Terrible news.  The Partridge Family was one of  the first shows I remember watching.  David was fantastic in Blood Brothers-he toured with that show many years ago.  Dementia, with or without the alcohol component, is a horrific disease, as is alcoholism.  CNN did a terrific ( heartbreaking, honest) documentary on Glenn Campbell and the road he is on with Dementia.  This country is nowhere near ready to deal with the Baby Boomers who will need assistance of all kinds with aging.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I just can't feel sorry for the guy.  He's had a good run in the entertainment business and he's been an alcoholic for decades though he can get the help he needs.  I think he has tried at least twice.  Maybe he has a death wish.

@Puzzle Piece

Just get help?   Really?  

Alcoholism is a disease, and even if a person "gets help" doesn't mean they can be sober for the rest of their lives, no big deal.   For many people, it's a horrific struggle ... every single day.  

I think I'm more on the "addiction" camp.  Either way, it's a very serious thing.

Valued Contributor

It's on the internet today, that David has revealed that he is dealing with dementia. 

Honored Contributor

David Cassidy Reveals He’s Living With Dementia The former “Partridge Family” star went public with his diagnosis days after a performance that left many concerned for his well-being.
DAVID LIVINGSTON VIA GETTY IMAGES

Former “Partridge Family” star David Cassidy says he’s living with dementia. 

The 66-year-old opened up to People magazine about his diagnosis, telling the magazine the disease runs in his family, as his grandfather and mother had also been diagnosed with dementia

“I was in denial, but a part of me always knew this was coming,” he told People.

Cassidy’s decision to go public with his diagnosis follows a performance on Saturday night in Agoura, California, where he slurred his words, forgot the lyrics to his songs, hit himself in the face with a microphone and fell backwards off stage. 

Cassidy announced earlier this month that he was retiring after 50 years in show business. He explained to People that he made the decision to retire so he could concentrate on himself and his health. 

“I want to focus on what I am, who I am and how I’ve been without any distractions,” he said. “I want to love. I want to enjoy life.”

Respected Contributor

Still love Partridge Family songs and know all the lyrics ...

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

I also just read that he is suffering from dementia, I guess that's why he announced his retirement. It's hurtful to him and his loved ones when people who don't know him or what he is going through just assume the worst. The same was said about Rita Hayworth too. We should all just be a little kinder and have some compassion for others. You never know if you'll be walking in their shoes one day.

Honored Contributor

I can't help but feel very sorry for him. Apparently he feels the dementia came from his mom's side of the family, and we all know his father was a bad alcoholic.  That's a bad combination.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Awful lot of 'judgmental' going around... I guess none of us is completely immune...

Smiley Wink

I know, sadly many people with no compassion and lots of knee jerk assumptions. Something you see all too often here unfortunately @stevieb

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval