Honored Contributor

Watched it last evening. I enjoyed it so much. Of course, I like history.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I rarely go to the movies but this one and The Post are the 2 I have seen.  In both cases even though I knew the stories pretty well, I found them engrossing and never once looked at my watch.  Have no plans to see any of the other Oscar nominated films except maybe Phanthom Thread.  Do not like obsenity, brutality in the movies I view.

Honored Contributor

The only two movies I saw this year were Dunkirk and Darkest Hour. I thought both were well made. And glad I saw them.

I guess Darkest Hour is no longer in theatres. Sorry to hear that - my neighbor told us a few days ago, he wanted to see Darkest Hour. Guess we missed taking him to see it.

Honored Contributor

Darkest Hour

available on Demand now,

Some friends saw Phantom Thread,  didn 't get good reviews 

Esteemed Contributor

Darkest Hour is on Redbox (& hopefully so is Dunkirk).  I saw both of these and feel they could be seen together; Dunkirk first and then Darkest Hour.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1, I enjoyed The Darkest Hour as well.  My comment after I saw it was that Churchill  had to be a very strong person to hold his position when so many around him wanted to negotiate.  It is an inspiring piece of history.

I saw The Post as well.  I did enjoy it but it wasn’t as good as I thought it was going to be.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Darkest Hour

[ Edited ]

i was so glad that "Darkest Hour" and "Dunkirk" came out close together. i liked "Darkest..." so much i saw it twice.  somehow i never had the proper respect for how Churchill dug Britain out of a deep dark hole just a few days into his prime ministership. watching the movie, i felt like i was there. and i came away with great respect for the King who stood tall with Churchill when others were ready to throw in the towel.  of course the telephone scene with Roosevelt was a sad historical reminder.  as for "Dunkirk," i said it was the best movie i had seen which i never wanted to see again!  it was too real, too tense, even coming in knowing how it ended.

Honored Contributor

I watched the original Darkest Hour on Britbox. It was a production   made for TV in the UK

It was a very fine program and the cast were extraordinary

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Darkest Hour

[ Edited ]

@ms traditionalwrote:

i was so glad that "Darkest Hour" and "Dunkirk" came out close together. i liked "Darkest..." so much i saw it twice.  somehow i never had the proper respect for how Churchill dug Britain out of a deep dark hole just a few days into his prime ministership. watching the movie, i felt like i was there. and i came away with great respect for the King who stood tall with Churchill when others were ready to throw in the towel.  of course the telephone scene with Roosevelt was a sad historical reminder.  as for "Dunkirk," i said it was the best movie i had seen which i never wanted to see again!  it was too real, too tense, even coming in knowing how it ended.

@ms traditional while I love movies based on real life situations- I'm not a fan of war movies so i didn't have a desire to see Dunkirk. That is until I saw Darkest Hour!! I was mesmerized by Gary Oldman's portrayal - so much so that I left the theater having to see Dunkirk! I watched it 'on demand' Sunday afternoon before the awards. Excellent- it depicted the impact of Winston Churchill's situation. He inherited a mess from his predecessor. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebearwrote:

Darkest Hour

available on Demand now,

Some friends saw Phantom Thread,  didn 't get good reviews 

Phanton Thread was a character study... from the trailers I expected a PLOT!!! 

I was sooo disappointed.