Honored Contributor

I didn't see Angelique in the remake ! Have to watch it again. Her eyes were huge and that laugh ! 

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Burton's at all in any of his movies. For some reason Depp likes him. Depp rules when he applies himself to serious roles. All that pirate 'stuff' I never even watched.

SusyOnWhite1_zps1b341e08.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh my!  I remember this.  It came on at 4pm and I'd watch it.  All I remember is the face of Barnabus I was so young.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

It's on right now on TCM House of Dark shadows then NIght of Dark shadows

@Shelbelle

@Coquille

@Nancy Drew

@Nightowlz

@SharkE.  DVR'D and wAtching right now!!   Always been my favorite soap ,  love Barnabas !    Finished night of dark shadows , on to house of dark shadows !!  

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

They're stopping short of the ones where Josette jumps from Widow's Hill and then comes out of her grave.  Those are my favorites!  I wish they wouldn't show all these Jason ones, they're boring, and get right to the 1700s!

@Coquille, yes, please, what did you do, how long did you work there, what can you tell us?  Please spill!  Love this show!  I totally wanted to be Angelique when I was a little kid because she was gorgeous and she got her way LOL.

There used to be someone on the board who was being paid by Jonathan Frid to transcribe his memoirs.  They never got published but she had interesting things to say.  If you're sitll around...come out!!!

I remember that post too !'  It was so interesting ,  I hope she's still around the forum and will check in !   @LoriLori. I loved Aneluque as well ,  thought she was gorgeous and so evil lol.   I used to wish. Barnabas was my boyfriend back then ,  but I also very young lol still love him though!

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with you LoriLori. I'm so disappointed because the same circle of episodes are repeated over and over again. You're right about the TV guide descriptions. Episodes featuring Angelique were supposed to be aired starting early this morning. I had even set my alarm to get up at 7:00AM. With coffee in hand, I was all set to watch, only to discover episodes with Barnabas, Willie, Jason, Sarah, etc, etc.  AAARRGHHH!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Loveac wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

They're stopping short of the ones where Josette jumps from Widow's Hill and then comes out of her grave.  Those are my favorites!  I wish they wouldn't show all these Jason ones, they're boring, and get right to the 1700s!

@Coquille, yes, please, what did you do, how long did you work there, what can you tell us?  Please spill!  Love this show!  I totally wanted to be Angelique when I was a little kid because she was gorgeous and she got her way LOL.

There used to be someone on the board who was being paid by Jonathan Frid to transcribe his memoirs.  They never got published but she had interesting things to say.  If you're sitll around...come out!!!

@LoriLori I'm still around!  Yes, I actually took dictation and typed up Jonathan Frid's memoirs.  I met him for the first time at the Workd Trade Center.  He was always very polite and kind...a real gentleman.  I went to his apartment in NYC many times.  We went out to lunch, dinner, out for drinks, etc.  It was a great working relationship that I'll always treasure. I have letters and cards from him, which I still have.  I can tell u that I thought I would faint the first time I saw him walking towards me....to me, it was Barnabas!  I attended the dark shadows festivals each year for a very long time and got to meet many of the cast.  "Josette, Kathryn Leigh Scott" had such a beautiful personality, and I told her so. She was stunned and thanked me profusely. Now I'm in the mood to watch the show again lol!

@Loveac. Wow !  I'm so envious ,  what wonderful memories for you , I'm sure you will always treasure them I know I would !  I would have fainted dead away the first time seeing Barnabas!  I love hearing that he was a true gentlemen and so nice as well.  Great actor and a hard role to play in the day as well .  Was he theater trained do you know ?  

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@SharkE,  my mother watched All My Children and I remember Louis Edmonds (Roger) playing Langley, he was a hoot. 

I also loved when someone's long skirt in the 1795 storyline, I think it was Angelique's skirt, knocked over one of the styrofoam tombstones in the cemetery LOL.  So many fun bloopers.  That bat!

In the Tim Burton remake (which I detested) the women who played Angelique and Josette had cameos along with Jonathan Frid.  They were in a party scene.  IIRC Jonathan Frid's line to Johnny Depp was about their hair.

The scary parts of Tim Burton's film and the special effects were great.  The comedy and the sex were stupid as was the reveal of Caroline.  Tim Burton claims to be a huge fanof the show  but I think he destroyed it, I wish they had just told the wonderful, dramatic story, timeless of Barnabas, Angelique, Josette, Jeremiah, etc.

@LoriLori. My best friend and I who adore the soap ,  myst hated that movie !  We went together hoping for dark shadows,  but what we saw was not !  How can Tb claim he's a fan and then write that movie ?!

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore, I'm not @LoveAC but I know Jonathan Frid was a classically trained actor who studied Shakespeare.  Which is part of why he couldn't remember his lines much of the time.  Once he became the star of DS he probably had to memorize the equivalent of Hamlet every week LOL!

I usually love Tim Burton ("Beetlejuice", "The Corpse Bride", "The Nightmare Before Halloween", "Edward Scissorhands", "Ed Wood", etc.) but I will never forgive what he did to Dark Shadows.  

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

It's on right now on TCM House of Dark shadows then NIght of Dark shadows

@Shelbelle

@Coquille

@Nancy Drew

@Nightowlz

@SharkE Thx for sharing. I was not able to watch. My SIL fomr Fl & SIL from Ca are visiting & we were busy.

Regular Contributor

Dang!!!  Don’t get it!  I would rush home from school decades ago to catch it. Loved Jonathon Frid. Also loved the scenery screw-ups—like doors that stuck…the “grass” that had wrinkles or big folds in it…one time Joan Bennett closed a door on her gown and couldn’t pull it through without opening the door again. Then there were the times when the actors forgot their lines. Loved it!