Esteemed Contributor

So how many of you watched "Dark Angel" on PBS last night?  I really liked it altho it was hard to understand them at times.  I couldn't believe she could really do the things she did.  What evil! 

Joanne Froggatt did an excellent acting job.  So different from Anna in Downton Abbey!

Trusted Contributor

i watched, not sure if i really liked it. i wish they hadn't  started with her getting hanged, it would have been interesting to not know the outcome first. i can't believe noone suspected anything sooner, i guess back then they couldn't conceive of a female serial killer.

Respected Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

i watched, not sure if i really liked it. i wish they hadn't  started with her getting hanged, it would have been interesting to not know the outcome first. i can't believe noone suspected anything sooner, i guess back then they couldn't conceive of a female serial killer.

There is an article about why she got away with it.  Back in the Victorian era the police deptartment wasn't as saavy as it is today.  Plus, there were so many deaths and arsenic poisoning has the same symptoms as other ailments that people died from.  Of course I'm surprised that people didn't put 2 and 2 together and question why she lost so many loved ones.  Maybe her poverty had something to do with her not being caught earlier.  

Honored Contributor

"Here, have some tea."whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

@willomenia  I watched it twice, but did not see the hanging.  I fell asleep right after she killed Joe, twice, lol, but after your post, I now know what happened to her.

Honored Contributor

Did she kill Isabella for the insurance money?  Killed her than cried over her.

I missed that she killed her Mother, but she must have given her the special tea when she went to her to take care of her.  What did she gain by that?  The release from having to take care of her again, or the fact that her Mother told her something she didn't like?

Does anyone have a count of how many people she killed?

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I missed that she killed her Mother, but she must have given her the special tea when she went to her to take care of her.  What did she gain by that?  The release from having to take care of her again, or the fact that her Mother told her something she didn't like?

She didn't mean to kill Isabella.  She was only giving her enough tea to make her sick and gave the other kids enough to make them die.  Isabella, on her own, drank too much of the tea and Mary Ann was beside herself when she had seen what Isabella did, but it was too late.

Her Mother......yes, she killed her when she went to take care of her.  I would think the reason was that her mother was getting too close to the truth.

I have read that she killed between 13 and 21 people!

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

She didn't mean to kill Isabella.  She was only giving her enough tea to make her sick and gave the other kids enough to make them die.  Isabella, on her own, drank too much of the tea and Mary Ann was beside herself when she had seen what Isabella did, but it was too late.

Her Mother......yes, she killed her when she went to take care of her.  I would think the reason was that her mother was getting too close to the truth.

I have read that she killed between 13 and 21 people!

@Patriot3  Thank you so much.  

Contributor

She killed her mother because she was in a hurry to get back to the guy with the big house and the children, forgot the name. She was annoyed that she had to take care of her mother and after the mother  told Mary Ann that it could take quite a while for her to get better (or die), she  offered her a nice cup of tea.

Trusted Contributor

Thoroughly enjoyed the show. I was also glad to see the whole story in two hours instead of episodes over two weeks.

It went so quickly at the beginning that I had a hard time catching up. I may watch it again. Found myself thinking about it all during the day today.

Joanna F. did a wonderful job, especially the expression in her eyes which seemed to get more and more hardened with every death (or deaths).

Did she kill the first four babies and then the 6th and seventh? or did they die from the all too common fatal infant illnesses at that time? That wasn't clear to me.

Candy