Respected Contributor

Re: Daniel Day-Lewis Quits Acting

He is retired until he gets offered a great role.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@ReggieRagu wrote:

Love his acting! One of my favorite scenes in in The Last of the Mohicans when he tells the lead actress ( sorry can't remember who it was) " I will find you!"

Reggie

@ReggieRagu

I own that movie and everything about it, the classic story, the film adaptation, the actors, the beautiful cinamatography, and the music . . . OMG, the music!!  Do you know that actually took place in NC in the book, but they filmed it in upper NY State.  Now I'm going to have to watch it. 

I remember that scene under the waterfalls, heart stopping.  DDL was gorgeous in this movie.

BTW, the lead actress was the beautiful Madeleine Stowe of fairly recent "Revenge" on TV.  One of her very best roles.

---------------

Love everything about that movie. I thought DDL was so handsome in this but other movies, not quite as much. But what a great actor. 

And Madeleine Stowe -- she is just stunning, in looks and acting. 

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom

Four scenes from "Age of Innocence" stand out to me:

When his wife tells him she's pregnant and he knows then that he can't leave her.

When he rubs his finger under the "Lady's" glove in the horse carriage . . . sexier than any nude scene one could ever see.

When the "Lady" does not turn around in the what could have been a reunion (the "sea" scene).

When she closes the shutters in Paris, and he stands up and walks away (the last scene in the movie, I believe). 

This was also an amazing movie with wonderful acting by all, but DDL elevates everything he's in.

I hope he is not sick.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

His performance as Lincoln was mesmerizing. I hope he isn't retirng due to illness. He is great, even when he is playing an evil person.

Honored Contributor

@ReggieRagu wrote:

Love his acting! One of my favorite scenes in in The Last of the Mohicans when he tells the lead actress ( sorry can't remember who it was) " I will find you!"

Reggie

I still have that movie on VHS and that is my favorite scene of the movie and one of the most romantic scenes of all movies.  "You stay alive, I will find you!"  It was Madeleine Stowe.  Love Daniel in all he has done.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

he's made several "flakey" decisions before....he may come back

Honored Contributor

LilacTree, thanks for mentioning those scenes from "The Age of Innocence".   That's what's great about Daniel Day-Lewis, there's so much brilliance packed into the tiniest gestures...

His Abe Lincoln was so wonderful-- you could see the performance over and over, gaining more from it each time.

Since he comes from such a quirky and "artistic" Anglo-Irish family (he's somehow related to the poet Cecil Day-Lewis, among others) this doesn't seem altogether that surprising.  I also hope there's no illness involved.

He's a rare, rare talent.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  The poet is his father.  I've always thought that perhaps the shared  literary background was what attracted him and his wife to each other.   I just went to Wiki to confirm that he is indeed the son of the poet and found this on Wiki (I had no idea he's half Jewish; all Jewish since it's his mom): Arthur Miller was Jewish also.

From Wikipedia:

"Day-Lewis was born in Kensington, London, the son of poet Cecil Day-Lewis and English actress Jill Balcon.His father, who was born in Ballintubbert, ... Ireland, was of Protestant Anglo-Irish and English background, lived in England from the age of two, and later became the Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom.Day-Lewis's mother was Jewish; her family were Jewish immigrants to England from Latvia and Poland. His maternal grandfather, Sir Michael Balcon, was the head of Ealing Studios. Two years after his birth, his family moved to Croom's Hill, south-east London, where Day-Lewis grew up along with his older sister, Tamasin, who became a documentary filmmaker and television chef.

Living in Greenwich (he attended Invicta and Sherington Primary Schools), Day-Lewis found himself among tough South London children, and, being "Jewish" and "posh", he was often bullied.He mastered the local accent and mannerisms and credits that as being his first convincing performance]Later in life, he has been known to speak of himself as very much a disorderly character in his younger years, often in trouble for shoplifting and other petty crimes."

Honored Contributor

Another thing...he is Sir Daniel Day-Lewis.  Also from Wiki:

" In June 2014, Day-Lewis was made a Knight-Bachelor in the 2014 Birthday Honours for services to drama.   In November 2014, he was formally knighted by Prince William at Buckingham Palace,"