Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dan Crenshaw & Pete Davidson on SNL

Pete Davidson’s father died in 9/11. He should have known better but he redeemed himself in that heartfelt apology. He is not the most stable individual and I wonder how long he can last on SNL, given his personal problems, but I think SNL handled the apology well.

Trusted Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Pete Davidson should be fired but of course bringing Dan Crenshaw aboard for the apology boosted the ratings and probably Davidson's stature especially when he called himself a much deserved derogatory word.  Stupid and it goes to show you how awful snl has become.  I bet Arianna Grande was applauding somewhere ready to rekindle her romance with the fool. 

I don't see why he needs to be fired. If the person who was the target of the dumb joke can accept the apology maybe we should all learn something. If everyone gets fired for every stupid thing we'll all be broke and homeless.

I think the segment was really well done. I figured they were planning something since Crenshaw was in NYC on Friday and they did it well.

Respected Contributor

we need more leaders like Dan Crenshaw.

Honored Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Pete Davidson should be fired but of course bringing Dan Crenshaw aboard for the apology boosted the ratings and probably Davidson's stature especially when he called himself a much deserved derogatory word.  Stupid and it goes to show you how awful snl has become.  I bet Arianna Grande was applauding somewhere ready to rekindle her romance with the fool. 

Have any advertisers withdrawn their sponsorship?  I hadn't heard that Ms. Grande wanted to resume her relationship with Mr. Davidson.

Valued Contributor

ID2Re: Dan Crenshaw & Pete Davidson on SNL

@ID2  I do not want this to become political.  I haven't watched SNL for years because IMO it's just not funny and never cared for Pete Davidson's humor.  I will not youtube this scene or the apology.  I just have to wonder how some celebrities can make stupid, hurtful comments, apologize and continue to have their job.  Others do the same stupid thing and lose their jobs, networks, and are ostracised.@ID2, I agree with you.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

we need more leaders like Dan Crenshaw.

I agree. Pete Davidson has quite a bit of growing up to do, maybe this is one step. Humor should still be respectful of someone who lost an eye in a war, or it ceases to be funny. I wish some people would be equally outraged about all disrespectful people.

SNL handled it well by inviting him on, and he did by agreeing to go on.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Veteran Ben Crenshaw is a bigger and better person than anyone involved with SNL! This country would benefit greatly with more like him in our society, our politics, our population!

Respected Contributor

It's comedy, and not funny comedy. He didn't say anything racist like others have said. He made fun of a person's looks and disability during a comedy skit. I can think of a supposed leader who made fun of a person's disability and it wasn't a comedy sketch. And the "person" never apologized either.

I tend to give commedians a pass because they are supposed to be irreverent. Joan Rivers comes to mind. I used to cringe at some of the things she said.

Esteemed Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

I agree that there are different consequences for different people.....Pete Davidson was horrible...and he was laughing during the whole skit........how come he can apologize and everyone thinks that is acceptable....but if some other public person says something that is distasteful they get fired or worse.............too much of a

double standard going on these days.....and it is so obvious

Respected Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

I agree that there are different consequences for different people.....Pete Davidson was horrible...and he was laughing during the whole skit........how come he can apologize and everyone thinks that is acceptable....but if some other public person says something that is distasteful they get fired or worse.............too much of a

@kelsey17 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

There's a big difference between distasteful and racism.