Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dan Crenshaw & Pete Davidson on SNL

@bathina wrote:

@kelsey17 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Pete Davidson should be fired but of course bringing Dan Crenshaw aboard for the apology boosted the ratings and probably Davidson's stature especially when he called himself a much deserved derogatory word.  Stupid and it goes to show you how awful snl has become.  I bet Arianna Grande was applauding somewhere ready to rekindle her romance with the fool. 

I agree that there are different consequences for different people.....Pete Davidson was horrible...and he was laughing during the whole skit........how come he can apologize and everyone thinks that is acceptable....but if some other public person says something that is distasteful they get fired or worse.............too much of a

double standard going on these days.....and it is so obvious

@kelsey17 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

Pete Davidson should be fired but of course bringing Dan Crenshaw aboard for the apology boosted the ratings and probably Davidson's stature especially when he called himself a much deserved derogatory word.  Stupid and it goes to show you how awful snl has become.  I bet Arianna Grande was applauding somewhere ready to rekindle her romance with the fool. 

I agree that there are different consequences for different people.....Pete Davidson was horrible...and he was laughing during the whole skit........how come he can apologize and everyone thinks that is acceptable....but if some other public person says something that is distasteful they get fired or worse.............too much of a

There's a big difference between distasteful and racism.

I actually wasn't referring to racism......and i felt he was

more then distasteful.......................

Respected Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@bathina wrote:

@kelsey17 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

@kelsey17 wrote:

@puttypiesmom wrote:

There's a big difference between distasteful and racism.

I actually wasn't referring to racism......and i felt he was

more then distasteful.......................

You said there is a double standard when it comes to public figures getting a pass on distasteful comments. Can you clarify which public figures got a pass and which didnt? My first thought was Roseann and Meghan Kelly.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to it but I encourage anyone who hasn't watched it or seen the whole thing to do so.

Pete Davidson give a heartfelt apology, Dan Crenshaw had some very funny lines and then SNL stopped the comedy so Dan Crenshaw could talk about veterans.  It ended in a  respectful place and showed how when people are sincere they can make things right and lift us all up.

I saw that the only reason why he apologized was because everyone threw a fit! Including his own mother! It was clear his apology wasn't at all "heartfelt". He acted like a fool, plain and simple.

His mother throwing a fit was part of an ongoing joke about him living at home since he and Ariana Grande split up.  

Honored Contributor

Re: ID2Re: Dan Crenshaw & Pete Davidson on SNL

@bootsanne wrote:

@ID2  I do not want this to become political.  I haven't watched SNL for years because IMO it's just not funny and never cared for Pete Davidson's humor.  I will not youtube this scene or the apology.  I just have to wonder how some celebrities can make stupid, hurtful comments, apologize and continue to have their job.  Others do the same stupid thing and lose their jobs, networks, and are ostracised.@ID2, I agree with you.

You do want this to become political.  Maybe even have it poofed.  Some don't want unity.

I just watched Fox, which I normally avoid, because I had read Dan Crenshaw would be on.  He gave a lovely interview.  The woman interviewing him tried to bait him and he didn't take the bait. 

He said he knows SNL didn't mean it as badly as people took it.  He said vets can work great across the aisles because they understand one another.  (I'm reminded of Dem Tammy Duckworth, who lost both her legs in Iraq.)  And he said never forget that the Iraq War started after 9/11, when Pete Davidson's firefighter father died.  FYI Pete was seven and his dad had a building come down on him when he was trying to save the lives of civilians.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Both Lieutenant Commander Congressman-elect Dan Crenshaw and SNL chose to take action to take a dreadful (in my opinion) "joke" and transform it into a plea for all of us to be more mindful, thoughtful, forgiving and to be a United States of America.   

Perhaps all of us would benefit from their example, and get our firmly-planted feet out of the quicksand, stop being constantly divisive, and open our ears and our minds.   I know it will help me to do so.

Dan Crenshaw:  "It felt good and it felt like the right thing to do.   I would appreciate if everybody would stop looking for reasons to be offended and that's what this was all about."  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ms traditional wrote:

we need more leaders like Dan Crenshaw.

I SO agree-I felt refreshed when that was over-like "cleansed"-after a very contentious political period.

Respected Contributor

@bathina wrote:

It's comedy, and not funny comedy. He didn't say anything racist like others have said. He made fun of a person's looks and disability during a comedy skit. I can think of a supposed leader who made fun of a person's disability and it wasn't a comedy sketch. And the "person" never apologized either.

I tend to give commedians a pass because they are supposed to be irreverent. Joan Rivers comes to mind. I used to cringe at some of the things she said.

Davidson did not say anything racist, he just insulted a DAV who served in the military, simply because he is in politics. And that is the problem, everyone gets a pass for lack of civility and just plain decency!  And comedians today get away with being irreverent because it is expected?  Just how far does it go? 

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Both Lieutenant Commander Congressman-elect Dan Crenshaw and SNL chose to take action to take a dreadful (in my opinion) "joke" and transform it into a plea for all of us to be more mindful, thoughtful, forgiving and to be a United States of America.   

Perhaps all of us would benefit from their example, and get our firmly-planted feet out of the quicksand, stop being constantly divisive, and open our ears and our minds.   I know it will help me to do so.

Dan Crenshaw:  "It felt good and it felt like the right thing to do.   I would appreciate if everybody would stop looking for reasons to be offended and that's what this was all about."  

@dooBdoo  Thank you dooBdoo, excellent post and very well said!

Honored Contributor

This post is a bit OT, but the subject of this thread brought this to mind.  Some years ago, my brother (a conservative) took me (no party loyalty) to a comedy club in a Chicago suburb.  John Mullany was performing that evening.  I had never heard of him, but he sure made us laugh.  He told a lot of political jokes, most of them skewered the liberal point of view.  He asked for the liberals in the audience to raise their hands, and then said they might want to step outside to avoid making a mess if they started to melt (a 'snowflake' reference).  But nobody left, and everyone seemed to enjoy the set.  He has since become more well-known, and often appears on tv.  

Respected Contributor

I thought it was lovely to hear an apology . I was taught as a child that the mark of a man (woman too) was the ability to apologize.  Also to accept one and forgive and eventually forget . IMO this was sincere on both sides .

I am always wary when someone states  I never apologize .