Trusted Contributor

I've always enjoyed this show for the dancing and costumes.  I think it really suffered not having an audience and the canned applause and booing was strange to me.  Perhaps if they wanted a change they should have replaced Erin with Tara, but I certainly missed Tom and don't think it will be as good without him.  

Have to question having Carol Baskin as one of the "stars?" but with her dancing last night she'll probably go home sooner rather than later.  I'll probably keep watching as there's not much else on, but overall it was a disappointment.  

Honored Contributor

I miss Tom, I never thought there was a need for what Erin did, I won't miss her. I thought Tyra did a terrible job, there's something about her that rubs me the wrong way. Carole Baskin should be the first to be voted off.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DWTS premier 09/14/2020

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I miss Tom, I never thought there was a need for what Erin did, I won't miss her. I thought Tyra did a terrible job, there's something about her that rubs me the wrong way. Carole Baskin should be the first to be voted off.

@Jordan2  Agree with all you said. It's like they acted like they saved the best

for last with Carole and then she comes out and barely moves and people

waited all night for that. Guess she was one of the actual persons that

people knew but a star? I was one for sure who didn't even know her. 

Honored Contributor

I recorded it and just watched it.  I'm not familiar with Tyra Banks, but was willing to watch with an open mind.

For me, she just didn't have any "personality" or animation.  She was clearly reading everything from the teleprompter.  Tom was so good at ad-libbing and interacting with the judges and contestants.

I feel sorry for the dancers, pro and amateur.  It must be very hard performing without the band or live audience.

I'll keep watching but, if it doesn't improve, I likely won't finish the season.

(As for Carole Baskin?  I've never seen her on TV, so only know what I've read here, but her dance was pretty awful.)

Trusted Contributor

@FindingMyJoy wrote:

Anyone else shocked they paired Johnny Weir with a brand new pro?? It seemed other seasons they would put the "bigger name" dancers with seasoned pros. But I guess we're down 2 pros since they're pregnant. 

Yes,  I was surprised he was put with a newbie.  I am wondering if he signed up late and there was no one else.  I thought he did very good and should have been scored higher than "6."  I am sure he can be a bit of a diva so it will be interesting to see as the season goes on. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the show. It was different. I missed Len, but thought Derek did an amazing job of judging. Gave very specific critiques & encouragement. I loved Bruno's hair, but he does rattle on. Carri Ann was goofy. Tyra...we will see. I didn't dislike her, but Tom was perfect.

A.J. & Cheryl were just okay but Cheryl looked beautiful with an unflattering costume.

Chrishell & Gleb-I don't have an opinion on. 

Vernon & Peta-No real opinion.

Anne & Keo-She wasn't bad, but she is kind of crazy, I think. Poor Keo.

Jeannie & Brandon-She was enthusiastic.

Jesse & Sharna-He may end up ok. Sharna was gorgeous with that blonde & pink hair.

Skai & Alan-Wow! She is adorable & I love Alan.

Kaitlyn & Artem-Just no. To both of them.

Nev & Jenna were impressive.

Johnny & Britt-He was my most anticiapted dancer. I can't wait to see his next dance.

Justina & Sasha were the most fun couple of the night! She was great & Sasha is always so fun.

Charles & Emma-He was cute. Not much for dancing.

Monica & Val-Eh. Not memorable.

Nelly & Daniella-I tought she was awesome! I like Nelly, so I am anxious to see what he does next.

Carole & Pasha-Sorry Pasha. I don't know her, but she didn't dance well, nor was she charming.

Did you have a favorite dance?

Esteemed Contributor

I always enjoy Gleb. Hoping Chrishell improves so we can

still see them for a little longer. 

Respected Contributor

I think Tyra should dress down.  She shouldn't try to outdo the contestants or judges.  She should wear a more realistic wig, too.  Also, she should talk only as a host to facilitate the show--not to be its star.  Less talking, Tyra.  I think she should stand on the sidelines--not on the stage.  The less I see and hear Tyra, the better!!!

Honored Contributor

I watched it last night.  It certainly was lacking.  Of course, the absence of a studio audience did not help things.  But even with that aside, it felt very hollow.  I miss Len!  I know a lot don't like him, but I love him!  He keeps it real.  At times his comments might seem a little harsh but he is old school and believe the dancing should strictly follow the guidelines.  I think he balances the other 2 judges out as they tend to get out of control! I am not a fan of Derek but I think he did a very good job.  As for Tyra --- her entrance was way, way over the top.  I think perhaps she was trying too hard and hopefully she will tame it all down somewhat.  Let's hope!  I just felt it was all very lackluster.  I miss Tom and his wit and liveliness!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN 

I very much agree with your post.  I never cared for Anne Heche at all but surprisingly, she was the one I was the most taken with!  Her presence, outfit and performance I found really exciting.  Tom was just the best and he added so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin