Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: DR. KILDARE SERIES TCM THURSDAY DAYTIME LEW AYRES LIONEL BARRYMORE LARAINE DAY

Did anyone catch that amazing insult, "You poisonous drupe!"?

Sure hope that catches on.

(I expect we know what a drupe is, but just in case, I'll save someone the trouble of looking it up to verify.  A "drupe" is a fleshy fruit with a stone - which contains the seed - in the center, such as a plum, or almond, or olive, or cherry.  Many of the stones are toxic to differing degrees.)  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: DR. KILDARE SERIES TCM THURSDAY DAYTIME LEW AYRES LIONEL BARRYMORE LARAINE DAY

[ Edited ]

I missed all the Dr. Kildare movies but just watched 1942's Dr. Gillespie's New Assistant. 

The dialogue from the 1940s (and 30s, too) is just wonderful.  Sharp and clever.  It makes me think of Frasier, in a way.

Funny and intelligent and to the point.

ETA:  Keye Luke was a delightful surprise.  I never paid much attention to any of the Charlie Chan films (in which he played #1 son Lee Chan), but he was wonderful in his role as a young intern in today's Gillespie film.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

He was so fab in Advise and Consent. That film is one of my top 10 favs.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   I recently decided to buy the tv series up to Season 5, and have been watching a few episodes most days.  I am finding it as mesmerizing as the original The Fugitive, especially mesmerizing is Dr. Kildare's face, lol, such a beautiful face!  It is more noticeable on a larger screen instead of the smaller screens of yesteryear.

Honored Contributor

I agree with all you say, Oznell, love these films especially Nancy Drew.  Barrymore and Ayres were a terrific combination of acting in the Kildare series.  

I remember watching the Dr. Kildare TV series with Richard Chamberlain in the sixties which was pretty good but I prefer the original.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirland @spiderw --  Yay, @mousiegirl that you got the series and are enjoying it.  The appeal of both the Kildare movies and series for me is the warm, mentoring relationship that developed between Gillespie and Kildare.

Another similar sort of surrogate father-son screen relationship just occurred to me-- the one between wise Karl Malden and impetuous Michael Douglas in "The Streets of San Francisco".  I think that may be the only Quinn Martin production I don't have on DVD.  Might have to get it at some point...

Respected Contributor

I did not know there was any Dr Kildare prior to the series with Richard Chamberlain. Will have to check it out on Thursday.
Honored Contributor

Oh, dear, @Kindaglitzy, I'm sorry to have to tell you this is an older thread, bumped up, and therefore the Kildare movies won't be on this Thursday.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

Honored Contributor

Oznell, you never know the Streets of San Francisco may one day pop up on METV !!!  I enjoyed that one also.