Honored Contributor

DR. KILDARE SERIES TCM THURSDAY DAYTIME LEW AYRES LIONEL BARRYMORE LARAINE DAY

[ Edited ]

Playing all day into the early evening.

The "Dr. Kildare" series was immensely popular in the Thirties and beyond.  The plots may have been fairly standard, but the films were extremely fortunate in having top actors like Lionel Barrymore as the crusty, disabled Dr. Gillespie, avuncular father figure to impetuous young Dr. Kildare (ably played by Lew Ayres).

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/141151/People-vs-Dr-Kildare-The-Original-Trailer-.html

LIke other series from the period, "Nancy Drew", "Andy Hardy", "The Saint", and the terrific "girl reporter" series "Torchy Blane", with spunky Glenda Farrell, these movies have priceless anthropological value as a window into "how we lived then".

Quietly enjoyable. 

Honored Contributor

Re: DR. KILDARE SERIES TCM THURSDAY DAYTIME LEW AYRES LIONEL BARRYMORE LARAINE DAY

Thanks Oznell

Tuesday we spent the day "down the shore". Had a beautiful day. Shortly after we came home a storm came through. We lost out power. Spent much of yesterday "out" since we had no power. Came home in the afternoon and we got power. But we did not get our cable, computers or landline up and running. Spent much of the remainder of the day on the phone trying different things. Then Verizon said they would send someone out this morning. 

Since we were not the only people with problems. It happened that Verzion sent at least four different crews to our neighbor to get us up and running. 

So finally I am getting to the point. I always wanted to catch the early Dr Kildare movies. I read in Ginger Rogers biography that she always regretted divorcing Lew Ayes as quickly as she did. And I wanted to catch the movies he did while he was married to Ginger Rogers.

I hurry and try and catch what is on now.

Honored Contributor

Re: DR. KILDARE SERIES TCM THURSDAY DAYTIME LEW AYRES LIONEL BARRYMORE LARAINE DAY

I was just on the TCM site to check what movies to DVR.  I saw the Nancy Drew movies would be airing so I put a few of those on my DVR.  I read all the books and enjoyed each and every one.  Boston Blackie, The Saint and Miss Marple will be on also among others.

The Kildare series is enjoyable as you said.  I enjoy the interaction between Dr. Gillespie and the nurses, some funny lines.  I remember watching Dr. Kildare on tv with Richard Chamberlain.  

My sister is a fan of the Thin Man series and has seen them over and over. 

Whenever I need an escape from this crazy world I put on one of my TCM movies and put all my cares away, it usually works and gives me a lift !!!  

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla, relax and enjoy the good doctors after your hectic couple of days! 

Honored Contributor

@spiderw, I totally forgot "Boston Blackie"!   There's another detective one with Edward Arnold--  isn't he blind in that one--- which I remember as being good...

Honored Contributor

Once again, thank you @Oznellfor opening my eyes to another set of interesting movies.

Andy Hardy and the Five Little Peppers may have been enjoyable once, and maybe if I ever get into a state of "dotage" they may again, but now I need something with just a bit more "bite."

Especially as I only knew the good doctor from television. a handful of Dr. Kildare might be just what the doctor ordered.

(Oooh, I actually kind of surprised myself with that line.)  Woman LOL

Image result for dr. kildare lew ayres

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Yes, @GingerPeach, as @spiderw mentioned, the interaction between Gillespie and some of the nurses is entertaining-- it's tart, and indeed has some "bite".

"Kildare" has certain sad elements, like in the one about him getting married, but it's handled well.

The TV series was also lucky in getting a heavyweight actor like Raymond Massey as Gillespie.  He wasn't as cuddly as Barrymore, but love his spare brusqueness and permanently arched eyebrow...

Honored Contributor

Never saw the original Dr. Kildare. I only remember the TV series with Richard Chamberlain.  And how we all had "Dr. Kildare" shirts.  LOL

It sure is a window into a different world-Andy Hardy, Nancy Drew, etc.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Yes, @Cakers3.  You as a student of history would be keenly attuned to that.  

There are both good and bad differences, of course.  One of the positive differences back then that always strikes me, is the difference in the way adults were viewed and treated.  In a lot of those films, there are sort of guiding, mentoring adults, closely watched by younger, more impulsive youths. 

The wisdom and hard-earned experience of those adults seemed to me to be more valued, even by the 'whippersnappers', in early films!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Playing all day into the early evening.

The "Dr. Kildare" series was immensely popular in the Thirties and beyond.  The plots may have been fairly standard, but the films were extremely fortunate in having top actors like Lionel Barrymore as the crusty, disabled Dr. Gillespie, avuncular father figure to impetuous young Dr. Kildare (ably played by Lew Ayres).

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/141151/People-vs-Dr-Kildare-The-Original-Trailer-.html

LIke other series from the period, "Nancy Drew", "Andy Hardy", "The Saint", and the terrific "girl reporter" series "Torchy Blane", with spunky Glenda Farrell, these movies have priceless anthropological value as a window into "how we lived then".

Quietly enjoyable. 

@Oznell  I didn't know about the movies, but did watch the tv series.