Honored Contributor

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE SPENCER TRACY INGRID BERGMAN SATURDAY 2:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

2:15 p.m. Eastern--  "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, Lana Turner, Donald Crisp

TCM has really been vollying out the literary classics of late, many of which have "dueling" versions.  All told, I give the edge to the earlier Fredric March portrayal of Jekyll/Hyde; but Tracy is never less than interesting.  When he's the wicked Mr. Hyde, he's almost difficult to watch, so well does he convey the depravity of the chemically-altered man.  The film is also notable for early roles for Ingrid Bergman and Lana Turner.

The story itself is timelessly fascinating-- a battle between man's better nature, and the lurking evil within. 

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/236859/Dr-Jekyll-and-Mr-Hyde-Movie-Clip-If-You-Had-A-Balloon.html

Regular Contributor

Re: DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE SPENCER TRACY INGRID BERGMAN SATURDAY 2:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

That is one of my favorite films. Thanx for reminding . 

Honored Contributor

Re: DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE SPENCER TRACY INGRID BERGMAN SATURDAY 2:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

How I managed to post this movie alert in my other favorite category, "Holiday", is entirely due to lack of Saturday morning caffeine.  Sorry!  Have notified the mods.

Honored Contributor

Great,great film. Ingrid prefered to play the prossie instead of the good girl. Spencer did this role w/out a lot of makeup. He is truly great. Not so much for Lana Turner.

Honored Contributor

I definitely prefer the Frederic March version.  He portrayed a sexual frustration that IMO Tracy lacked.  Big fan of Ingrid Bergman--her performance in Gaslight is terrific--rather than Miriam Hopkins.

Another favorite movie of mine is on today--The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Love that movie!!

Valued Contributor

yes @kaydee50, I'll also be watching "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" tonight - the casting for that movie was perfect. 

Honored Contributor

I noticed that next Monday TCM is showing Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with Frederic March. And on Tuesday they are showing Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with John Barrymore.

I know I never saw the movie with John Barrymore. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I definitely prefer the Frederic March version.  He portrayed a sexual frustration that IMO Tracy lacked.  Big fan of Ingrid Bergman--her performance in Gaslight is terrific--rather than Miriam Hopkins.

Another favorite movie of mine is on today--The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.  Love that movie!!

I watched the Frederic March version last night. I must say I also preferred Frederic March's version to Spencer Tracy. 

After seeing Frederic March play Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, I am wondering why MGM felt the need to remake the movie.

Honored Contributor

Watched F. March and his change. It was great SX for the time but still prefer Spencer Tracey.