Honored Contributor

But it may not be over ..... they are looking for a new home for Season 2.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/downward-dog-canceled-abc/

Honored Contributor

I thought it would be such a good program but was so disappointed.  It could have been written way better to show the dog's viewpoints!

Honored Contributor

I knew it wouldn't last!  But --- I am in love with this show.  I absolutely adore Martin!

I think it's so refreshing that they don't just show a cute dog --- which he is by the way --- adorable!  ----- but they show an animal in a different light.  Maybe the way they perhaps might really feel and think.  Not all sweetness and light!  

And I like the main character, too.  She is striving for a good life but she has many imperfections.  

I hope it does get picked up.  I enjoy different kinds of shows --- and this is different.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

The dog was adorable, the rest of the cast was not likeable nor adorable in the slightest.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls, I agree with you.  I think that all of the dog lovers on this board could probably write a better script for Martin.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

It's a cute show and I like Nan and Martin, the rest of the characters need an overhaul. 

The only thing I don't like about Martin is his voice, it's so mundane I feel like it's putting me to sleep! Maybe it's the right type of voice for that particular dog breed, but I'd like to hear a little more pep in his voice. 

I hope another station picks it up.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I knew it wouldn't last!  But --- I am in love with this show.  I absolutely adore Martin!

I think it's so refreshing that they don't just show a cute dog --- which he is by the way --- adorable!  ----- but they show an animal in a different light.  Maybe the way they perhaps might really feel and think.  Not all sweetness and light!  

And I like the main character, too.  She is striving for a good life but she has many imperfections.  

I hope it does get picked up.  I enjoy different kinds of shows --- and this is different.

A friend of mine worked on this show ....  Most of the crew really thought the cast was well chosen, so perhaps the writing and character development was the real problem.

Honored Contributor

I think I hung in there for about 3 episodes.

It had it's good moments but it needs to decide if it's comedy or drama.

I decided to watch for 2 reasons, Allison Tolman and of course the k-9 -- loved both

Maybe it needs more dog, less people.  LOL   I liked the dog.

I don't generally watch programs like this, so my assessment should be taken with a grain of salt.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

A friend of mine worked on this show ....  Most of the crew really thought the cast was well chosen, so perhaps the writing and character development was the real problem.

@Tinkrbl44

So much promise!  I think they needed to work on stronger scripts.  Martin is perfection!!!!  And I really like Nan as well.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: DOWNWARD DOG CANCELLED

[ Edited ]

@lainey1 wrote:

It's a cute show and I like Nan and Martin, the rest of the characters need an overhaul. 

The only thing I don't like about Martin is his voice, it's so mundane I feel like it's putting me to sleep! Maybe it's the right type of voice for that particular dog breed, but I'd like to hear a little more pep in his voice. 

I hope another station picks it up.

I liked Martin's "voice". But i think the show had a real awkward quality.  Like someone said it needs to decide is it a drama or comedy.  If it is a dramady then maybe casting and writing needs to change.    The whole episode with the actor who played the king in Galavante was just strange. He is an amazing actor so I think the writing is resulting in its awkwardness.  It took six episodes to see that Nan does care for Martin.  Too long.  While i like the actor that plays Jason, i think his character should be funnier.  As it is i bet everyone who watched the last episode or two was glad she kicked him to the curb.  And the guy who plays her boss needs to change.  He is not pulling it off.  That part reminds me of Dre's immediate boss and original owner of the ad firm on Blackish who is histerical.  Nans boss just comes across flat and an idiot.