Honored Contributor

DOWNTON ABBEY -- JUST STARTED WATCHING!

After reading/hearing all the raves for so long I decided to try it. Well it's GREAT of course as everyone said. I love Maggie Smith -- who doesn't?

One question? I've just started Season 1, episode 2, about part way into it. How did Lord Grantham change heirs and get rid of that awful smarmy guy?

I'm sure I missed something. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks!

And I really really like Mr. Bates.

Respected Contributor

Re: DOWNTON ABBEY -- JUST STARTED WATCHING!

@Love my grandkids wrote:

After reading/hearing all the raves for so long I decided to try it. Well it's GREAT of course as everyone said. I love Maggie Smith -- who doesn't?

One question? I've just started Season 1, episode 2, about part way into it. How did Lord Grantham change heirs and get rid of that awful smarmy guy?

I don't know which awful, smarmy guy you are referring to. His original heir (Patrick) lost his life in the Titanic tragedy.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

Not sure who you are talking about.  Surely not Matthew...........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties @mom2four0418  No, not Matthew!! I mean that first young man who was having a fling with the footman, Thomas. One of the daughters was flirting like mad with him.

He left very abruptly the same morning Mr. Bates was to have been let go from him job, but we know how that worked out, fortuntely.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

I don't know which awful, smarmy guy you are referring to. His original heir (Patrick) lost his life in the Titanic tragedy.

I would watch this show off and on and never knew what was going on.  I think its one of those if you leave to get a snack you totally missed something lol.  It is a good show though

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

But wasn't there the burn victim claiming to be Patrick, who might or might not have been an imposter. I think he just up and left, but can't say for sure.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I suggest going back and watching the shows again as you haven't watched much at all.  Watch carefully and put on the captioning if you aren't understanding all the characters say.  

No heir was got rid of.  One died on the Titanic?  Which smarmy guy--name please?  Keep track of the characters or you will be lost.  Hope you enjoy the series.  

Respected Contributor

That was a Duke that was interested in Mary but when he learns she will not inherit, he is not interested.  Robert did not need to do much to get rid of him.  The Duke was all about money and did not care for Mary, other than her money, and to cover for his sexual preference.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Exactly @4kitties  I too wonder if she meant the Duke who was after Mary for money she would likely inherit? If so, I seem to remember that once it was discovered he was only looking to make a wealthy marriage, he left on his own. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb THANK YOU THAT'S IT!! I kind of figured it was something like that but since I just started watching I didn't want to get "cornfused"!!! Thanks!