Honored Contributor

DORIS DAY PRIMETIME TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Glass Bottom Boat"  Doris Day, Rod Taylor, Arthur Godfrey, Dom DeLuise, D i c  k Martin

Of her madcap comedies, this one and "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" are probably my favorites.  Spunky Doris is at her best as a widowed public relations woman for a huge scientific research concern.  She works closely with head honcho handsome Rod Taylor, falls for him, gets mistaken for a Russian agent, and well, you know--  absurd, hilarious hijinks ensue.  It's mightily helped along by a stellar cast of comic character actor stalwarts, too.

It's all very Sixties' southern Cal., kandy-kolored escapist fun.  Doris is so likeable, natural and humorous, especially warm and real in her scenes and duet with her onscreen father (Arthur Godfrey).

This is a nice prelude to the Doris tribute coming in June...

Valued Contributor

Re: DORIS DAY PRIMETIME TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I always say you can't go wrong with a Doris Day movie!

Tonight I just happened to come across (on YouTube) a half hour interview Vicki Lawrence did with Doris Day back in 1993 at a fundraiser for the Doris Day Animal Foundation held in Carmel, CA. There don't seem to be too many interviews done with Doris Day so it was kind of fun to watch it.  

Honored Contributor

I love Doris Day's comedies, dramas, her singing and the fact she was such an animal advocate.  I have been donating to her organization for years and will continue to do so.

Glass Bottom Boat is a good one just like so many other of her films were fun and enjoyable.  One favorite which I have mentioned before is Calamity Jane and I sing throughout the entire film having seen it in the movies when it was released and countless times since.  Doris was as terrific in her comedies as her dramas and in my opinion should have won an Oscar along the way.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It might sound a bit odd (but I guess that's not so unusual for me), but I always respected Doris Day.  Not only did she hand in an excellent performance in her films, but she sang like a bird and, above all else, seemed to be a warm and caring person.

Her sustained friendship with Rock Hudson and her animal charities let the world know about her kind heart.   Deep down, she and Elizabeth Taylor had similar personalities when it came to caring for people and animals who needed help or kindness.

Honored Contributor

Why or why do they have it on Tuesday when The Voice is having the FINAL show and announce the winner.  OMG!  There are so many great Doris Day films.  I sure hope they have a marathon some weekend.  Thanks for posting.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Doris Day is an infinitely interesting performer,  far more multidimensional than her (now few and dwindling) critics have given her credit for.  She wasn't just sunshine and seahorses;  she could be torchy and blue and heart-piercing, as in "Love Me or Leave Me", as the tormented Ruth Etting.

But she's truly wonderful in her "bouyant mode", as she is so fully in "The Glass Bottom Boat".   Absurd plot and situations notwithstanding, the script lacked the saccharine, warmed-over quality of a few of her other comedies.  It just bounced higher and higher, gently farcical, and Doris went right with it.  But she's never so far out on a comic limb that she forfeits audience sympathy.  

Doris keeps her famously friendly authenticity-- and when frustrated-- her ability to "fume" engagingly. (Don't you love it when she's mad, and she's muttering away under her breath?)

I just love her self-deprecation and her slightly kooky gallantry in this...

Honored Contributor

oznell,

You focused your marvelous laser of understanding on one of Doris's salient characteristics that charmed the heck out of me and so many others (including you, as we can read):

"Doris keeps her famously friendly authenticity-- and when frustrated-- her ability to "fume" engagingly. (Don't you love it when she's mad, and she's muttering away under her breath?)"

Yes, she was worthy of imitation for her rare way of "friendly fuming."  I just adored that aspect of her. Even those of us who did not share her all-American girl-next-door looks aspired to be like her in so many ways.  

Valued Contributor

You are so right @spiderw , Doris Day certainly deserved at least one Oscar - I never understood why she didn't.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for posting, I never saw this movie. I'll make a note to remember to watch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For anyone who wants to, who can't watch tonight, here's a sample of the freewheeling fun that "Boat" offers.  Doris and her Dad (Arthur Godfrey) do a rollicking rendition of "The Glass Bottom Boat",  also known as "The Deep Blue Sea".

They MUST have improvised much, if not all of this-- it is so relaxed and quirky.  Watch adorable Rod Taylor-- he's enjoying himself so much, I think he even breaks character a little bit.  He's just Rod Taylor, watching and adoring a top performer like Doris Day do her stuff!  See if you think I'm right.

I can never get enough of this number.  Be sure and enlarge to the big screen if you watch-- you don't want to miss all the little glances and nuances among Doris, Rod, Arthur Godfrey, and Elisabeth Fraser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LeOrbmOPc