Honored Contributor

DORIS DAY IS "JULIE", TUESDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Noon Eastern--  "Julie".    Doris Day, Louis Jourdan, Barry Sullivan, Frank Lovejoy, Jack Kruschen

getImage.jpg

OK,  TCM is swinging by on Tuesday again with this neato little thriller for anyone who has missed it or just needs a shot of classic Fifties suspense.  Doris strikes just the right tentative note as a retired stewardess in the gorgeous Monterey area. Life is good until she begins to suspect concert pianist new hubby (Louis Jourdan) has a dark past and darker intentions yet...

getImage.jpg

Luckily, she has adorable Barry Sullivan to help her sort out fact from fantasy.  His talents are very much under-utilized in this role, but at least he lends his always-authoritative male presence to the unsettling proceedings.

j56-cliff2b.jpg

"Julie" is followed by a Jennifer Jones double feature, in the form of "Madame Bovary" and "Indiscretion of an American Wife",  so a nice "damsel-in-distress" selection Tuesday for your matinee pleasure...

Honored Contributor

Re: DORIS DAY IS "JULIE", TUESDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Hey sweet @Oznell did you see the post I sent you?

I immediately thought of you because one of the back drops they showed and mentioned was from "Singing in the Rain".

Several were from old movies.  They are right, they are amazing pieces of art.

I think it's wonderful that people are saving this huge pieces of art.  Hopefully, they'll eventually find room for all of them.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @Annabellethecat66 ,  I sure did respond, didn't you see it?  I think your thread must have worked its way to page 2 of "TV and Movies"--  check, and you'll find my answer.

Condensation of my post there---   Loved the clip on backdrops--  so thoughtful of you to post!

Honored Contributor

And before the movie Julie is the movie Romance on the High Seas. One dark movie and one light movie for Doris Day.

Romance on the High Seas is Doris Day's debut. With quite a casr Jack Carson, Janis Paige, Don DeFore, Oscar Levant, S.Z. Sakall, Eric Blore, and Franklin Pangborn. It is a fun film.

So there is a light and funny film before the dark and suspenseful film.

Honored Contributor

Oh, perfect, @drizzellla .  And what a debut film for Doris with that cast!  Love her with S.Z "Cuddles" Sakall.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Thanks so much for the head's up on this show!   I just saw the TCM movie and loved it!  I had forgotten how 'good' it is to have music play such a big part of the story!!  I remember my mother wearing neck scarves in exactly the same style as Doris did in the movie!

I have always loved Doris...especially her singing!  Great easy listening...such a silvery singing style!!!  As a young teen, I had several pictures 'signed' by her!!

Honored Contributor

So glad, @corita !   Yeah, Doris was well turned out in that crisp, midcentury California "country club" style with her smart, skirt-and-sweater ensembles and jaunty neck scarves, a la your Mom!

I really like also the coastal locations and that fun beach house-- wish they had shown more of that...

Honored Contributor

Julie is definitely a good one to see as are all of Doris Day's movies.  She was as great in the lighter movies, Pillow Talk, Lover Come Back, etc. and my favorite, Calamity Jane as she was in the dramas.  I always liked her and James Cagney in Love Me or Leave Me.  

Doris had a wonderful career and is a legend in the entertainment world without a doubt.  However, I loved her as an animal advocate who dedicated her life to helping animals in need, I donate to her organization and have been for years, she was a star in many ways.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you know, @spiderw ,  I don't think I've ever seen Doris in "Calamity Jane".  Off the top of my head, I could see her as being perfect for that sort of role.  She ended up being a surprisingly versatile performer.  In a way she reminds me of D i c k Powell-- immensely talented musically, and with a light comic touch, yet in later career, successfully undertook dramatic, highly suspenseful roles, like in Hitchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and in "Julie",  "Storm Warning" and "Midnight Lace".  Not to mention the high melodrama of "Love Me or Leave Me".  Like you, I love her and Cagney in that!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

oznell !!

Yes, you named some great dramas Doris was in, The Man Who Knew Too Much was another favorite of mine.

My aunt took me to see Calamity Jane at the movies when I was a very young girl.  I loved it and enjoyed the music very much.  Now when I watch I sing along !  I think it was the first musical I saw in the movies.  I love Howard Keel as Bill Hickok and he had a wonderful singing voice.  It was a lively happy  musical and as a young girl It left an impression.  Secret Love was one of the big songs that came out of Calamity Jane and was a hit for Doris.