Honored Contributor

Re: DOCTOR WHO (spoilers!) -- what do you think?

@smoky22 wrote:

@Cumbercookie13

@wilma

@candys mine

@gardenman

Please come back and give us your opinions of Doctor Who.  I'm interested to know if you're still watching or not.  I hope @LoriLori and I didn't drive you away. 

@smoky22

I am still watching. I like Jodie’s doctor a lot. I also like her companions. I really loved the first 2 episodes! My least favorite episodes have been the spiders and the hospital ship. I look forward to watching it each week. Do we know if there will be more episodes after this first season ends in 2 weeks? 

Respected Contributor

@wilma  I'm so glad you're still there.  I really like this Doctor too, and the companions.  I was ready for something new.  The spider episode was kind of strange, wasn't it? 

There is a New Year's episode, but beyond that I haven't read anything definite for next year.

I read a rumor that Chibnall did not want to be showrunner after this season, but then I read that rumor wasn't true.  I  hope it isn't true.

Respected Contributor

There are times when I am watching the show that I think the editing is a bit off. It seems it just jumps from one thing to another and there is no even flow of events. Though it might be because my thoughts are not as quick as the doctor's!

Respected Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

There are times when I am watching the show that I think the editing is a bit off. It seems it just jumps from one thing to another and there is no even flow of events. Though it might be because my thoughts are not as quick as the doctor's!

@chicletsI think I noticed that a few times, too.  The film looks jumpy.  I thought it was BBCA, but maybe it is the actual editing.  I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your thinking.   

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  or anyone who might be interested, here is a fun sort of recap of Doctor Who (It's called Honest Trailer, fairly long - 10 minutes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9uOaDZDT-s

Respected Contributor

It Takes You Away  was kind of a strange title.  But I absolutely  loved it.  I think it might be my favorite of the season, even better than the Punjab one.  I thought it was very atmospheric, too.  I read some negative reviews and it just sounded like nitpicking to me.  I loved it.  

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

It Takes You Away  was kind of a strange title.  But I absolutely  loved it.  I think it might be my favorite of the season, even better than the Punjab one.  I thought it was very atmospheric, too.  I read some negative reviews and it just sounded like nitpicking to me.  I loved it.  

@smoky22  I thought the denofgeek review I posted was intelligent and informed.  And as has happened with every episode this season except for the Punjab one, reviews are all over the place.  

I'm still chewing on it.  I have to watch it again.  I liked that The Doctor was finally, um, The Doctor.  This to me was the first time.  I loved Graham, he always gets the best bits and what an actor.  I loved how Ryan was used, not so much Yaz. 

In general the episode reminded me of an acid trip.  Not a very good one, not a terrible horrible one.  Some reviews say it was profound, some say profoundly stupid.  I don't know yet!

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori  I don't read denofgeek so I probably don't have the right context for their reviews.  I am surprised the reviews on this episode are so mixed. 

I'm not sure what it means that Jodie was finally "The Doctor."  In all the 12 previous versions, they weren't all like Matt Smith, or even David Tennant.  I think she's consistently been her version of The Doctor.  Some of the plots have been a little off (dare I say kind of boring).  I judge the episodes on how much they hold my interest, not totally on how much sense they make.  Many of Moffat's plots didn't really make sense so that isn't anything new.  

I'm just happy someone took over the reins when Moffat left.  From what I've read it's not an easy job and many didn't want it.  With all the negative reviews I'm afraid they're going to let the show die (again).  

Honored Contributor

@smoky22  I read they're already gearing up for September 2019.  Apparently the show takes ages and ages to film.

If you google the reviews you'll find some think it's brilliant and some think it's ridiculous, especially the frog (who I kind of liked).

So predictable seeing Grace again, only I figured they would save her for the New Year's Day show.  I loved Ryan calling Graham grandfather.

What I mean by The Doctor being The Doctor is that she was firmly in control throughout the episode, and for me I think that's a first.  

Honored Contributor

I have a question and I'd love to read people's opinions.  It came up in conversation with the friend who introduced me to the show.

Since The Doctor is a Doctor, we think it would be fun if she uses her sonic to change her clothes (cute outfits, suits, mini dresses, heels -- whatever suits her at that moment) and colored her roots with it, changed her hairstyle, even a manicure --, whatever.  Not all the time but enough that they play off her feminity for fun.

Tennant and Smith were concerned with their appearance.  We both think it would be more fun if she would be and wonder if BBC is afraid people will mind in these sensitive times.

What do people think?  (Hope I get answers!!!)