Respected Contributor

Re: DOCTOR WHO (spoilers!) -- what do you think?

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori  Well, it will be fun to hear some opinions, but for me, I don't want the Doctor to be girly. That was my main issue with casting a female Doctor, not to make her overtly female.   She should be just another incarnation of The Doctor.  I don't ever want to see her get a manicure.  And I don't want her to change her hair, although the dark roots are sometimes distracting.  

I don't want her to necessarily be like Tennant or Smith.  And I never noticed that they made a big deal out of their appearance.  Tennant pretty much wore the same thing for all of his 4 years. 

Hope other people chime in.

Respected Contributor

A girly doctor?  Humm, could be fun.  maybe start small with a few scarves or hats tossed about the Tardis control room. I believe a Galifrayan who regenerated from one gender to another would embrace that regeneration.  I assume they could have a baby if they wanted to.  To exclude "her" from exhibiting her now personality ( whatever it is) would be restrictive and a shame.  as for the Sonic, did I miss something or can it change one item into another?  I don't think I've seen it change pants into a kilt or things like that. and can it modify genetics like turning her hair black?  Wouldn't that take regeneration energy which I thought was reserved for complete regeneration and the short time following? 

For some reason these episodes have left me sad.  Maybe they're trying to show why we really need The Doctor but it's just bringing to light the inhumanity and shortcomings of humans.  this past joker was a real Idiot.  My sympathies were with that sentient universe.

I can understand not wanting to be isolated for all existance alone when you know there are others you can communicate with. Perhaps, maybe, they can create some sort of link in the TARDIS outside of normal space/ time and at least keep in contact with"The frog prince". 

as for the show. The less Theatrial wide shots there are the better I like it.  I don't care where The doctor and company are I care what they DO.  Save those pennies and get a good story writer. 

Just my thoughts.  Yours?

Honored Contributor

Thanks  @smoky22  and  @candys mine   for your responses.  I hope we get more!  So interesting!

Candys Mine, I didn't know that about the sonic.  Thanks for teaching me.  If she can't get rid of her roots with the sonic I wish they hadn't given her roots.  So maybe she can do it in other ways, not the sonic, like you said.  I agree this season is sad (among other disappointments I have) and that's how we started talking about it, things that might lighten it up besides Graham.

Smoky, Matt Smith's first words or nearly were expressing gratitude he's not a ginger.  The fez, the suits, the sneakers, they cared about their appearance.  Not in-your-face but it was there.  I can't remember specifics but I remember someone (Elizabeth I?) insulting Tennant's attractiveness and he didn't like that at all.  Also he and Smith's Doctor were throwing shade at each other in the 50th.

Respected Contributor

To be honest I never have noticed her roots.  They could.....1) explain it as a leftover of her regeneration, started blonde then settled on dark and it's now growing out. OR 2)  Same explaination as before but She WANTS to stay blond and The Doctor and Yaz have a sceene about "What one does when one has roots."  Just hope she dosen't show up without them and no explaination. It would be ANOTHER  missed opportunity.

There won't be a Christmas special but I thought I read about a New Years one?  Have to wait and find out.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine

One more regular episode and then a New Year's Day episode.  From what I read BBC and Chibnall agree that the Christmas specials are limited by all the ones that came before and so maybe played out.   Maybe they'll just rest them or maybe start a new tradition of New Year's.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine  I was glad to see you chimed in.  Otherwise it's just @LoriLori and me talking to each other.  I like your idea about the hats.  That could be fun.  But I'm glad they haven't done any of that this year.  Maybe next season when she's more comfortable with herself.  I don't ever expect to see her in heels.  A long dress might be nice.  I know they missed an opportunity for Yaz to wear something other than jeans during the Witch finder episode.  The Tardis seems to have a pretty big wardrobe selection.  In the past the companions have used it, but The Doctor (when a man) never looks out of place in his usual clothes.

@LoriLori  you mentioned Smith saying he was glad he wasn't ginger when he regenerated.  I think they all say something after they regenerate.  Jodie said Oh! I'm a woman! And then she picked her wardrobe as something she would be comfortable in.  As I said, maybe next season she can do something wild and crazy.  I'm glad they haven't done that yet.  But please, no manicures. 

As for the 50th, that was kind of a special situation.  Two Doctors, of course they're going to throw barbs at each other.  I like the classic line after seeing the Tardis again, "Oh, you've redecorated.  I don't like it".  I know I've heard that line several times (Classic Who, New Who, I don't know but I heard it more than once).

I'm glad there will be a show in 2019.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I have a question and I'd love to read people's opinions.  It came up in conversation with the friend who introduced me to the show.

Since The Doctor is a Doctor, we think it would be fun if she uses her sonic to change her clothes (cute outfits, suits, mini dresses, heels -- whatever suits her at that moment) and colored her roots with it, changed her hairstyle, even a manicure --, whatever.  Not all the time but enough that they play off her feminity for fun.

Tennant and Smith were concerned with their appearance.  We both think it would be more fun if she would be and wonder if BBC is afraid people will mind in these sensitive times.

What do people think?  (Hope I get answers!!!)

@LoriLori

Not sure I would like a “girly” doctor. I guess she could change her attire to fit the time periods more when they are  in the past, but then, her other companions don’t change their outfits either. I don’t want the show to focus on her appearance. 

Respected Contributor

I read this online:

"As far as Nielsen is concerned, the new Doctor Who has been a hit. Overall audience (including replays) is up 20% vs last Capaldi season.  And the move to Sunday has helped same-day viewership spike 47%.

Driving the DOCTOR WHO gains: Millennial women. The show has doubled its female 18-34 audience from its last season, and is now a top 15 cable show in that demo, per BBC America.”

It's doing better than I thought.  I don't care if toddlers are watching by accident, as long as someone is tuning in.

Honored Contributor

@smoky22

That's great news.  I don't even know what ratings system is used in the UK.  I just saw the drops week by week on BBC.  I did not know about their "Consolidated" category which is equal to the American +7 which accounts for DVR viewing.  So looked at properly it still lost audience but did much better than I thought because I was looking at the raw overnights on BBC:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm

I'm glad they picked up women but that means the deserters are primarily men.  Oh well.

Below this season's ratings they have the (again, UK) ratings for each Doctor's debut.  I'm very surprised at Capaldi's low ratings debut.  Wonder why?  Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

@smoky22

Just read the Vulture article and it's great news.  I've been focused on the slip week by week (last week for the first time all season it didn't even make the top 25 cable shows in the U.S.) so I'm glad you posted the good news.  Still, too bad that as the show has improved the ratings have dropped.

Can't believe tonight is the finale.  That went fast.  I hope the showrunners have learned a lot.  I read that Chibnall and the other EP have never done sci fi before and IMO it shows.   Hopefully next season will be amazing!