Trusted Contributor

Here we go again.  On the bottom crawler on the ABC channel, we are in danger of losing ABC, Disney shows, ESPN and Freeform.

No date given as to when this might happen.  I'm sure it is contract negotiations again.  Earlier this summer we lost CBS for about 3 weeks.  I am in the Southern California area.  They give you a phone number to call.  My husband called and got someone in the Phillippines who thanked us for being Direct TV customers but gave him no additional info about this.  We were foolish and didn't call Direct about a discount due to losing CBS.  We still should in view of possible going through this again with ABC.  Anyone else getting this msg. on ABC?

Respected Contributor

I saw the same message on my TV screen and I don't even use DirecTV.  I hope they work out their problems and it remains on your lineup.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I'm in Illinois and getting the exact same information you mentioned on the bottom of my screen when watching TV.

Why is it always happening with Direct TV?  It it because their being so cheap / they won't negotiate?     

Does this ever happen  with other companies, for example - Comcast, etc. or is this just an issue always with Direct TV?

Esteemed Contributor

How stressful for customers to have to held hostage in these negotiations. I know I pay way to much for my cable but I was not going thru anymore with Direct TV. 

I hope it all works out for all. 

Respected Contributor

Disney owns ABC and Freeform and are getting ready to launch a pay for service with those channels bundled together. I am not surprised as I get Freeform but can't watch some of the previous programs on demand (without paying) unless I record and save.

Certain programs want you to pay watch after they have It looks like a lot of these media companies are catering to online subscribers and now I am wondering how companies like Directv, Comcast, and Dish will respond to its customers.

Esteemed Contributor

We dropped DirectTV a couple of months ago because they were going to raise our rates $65 a month. They would not negotiate. We went to streaming and couldn’t be happier. Pretty soon cable tv will be nothing but infomercials. I think so many people have stopped cable in the past year they can’t afford to negotiate with the channels. When we called to cancel they didn’t even care. 

This year, the number of cord-cutters in the U.S. — consumers who have ever cancelled traditional pay-TV service and do not resubscribe — will climb 32.8%, to 33.0 million adults, according to new estimates from research firm eMarketer. That’s compared with a total of 24.9 million cord-cutters as of the end of 2017, which was up 43.6% year over year.

Honored Contributor

Wonder if this announcement from Disney has anything to do with Direct TV losing ABC.

In a few short months, the highly anticipated streaming service Disney+ will launch in the U.S. on November 12, giving subscribers access to their favorite Lucasfilm and Marvel Studios titles, including brand-new live-action and animated series, classic films, and documentaries. The service will also be the exclusive streaming home of blockbusters such as Avengers: Endgame and the upcoming Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Disney+ is set to have a lot of out-of-this-world entertainment, so here’s a look at what’s to come.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL :  I haven’t seen this message (and hope I never will).  I’m in Texas and our ATT/Direct “blacked out” NBC for six weeks.  We just got it back and had no warning prior and they kept NBC in our channel lineup and when you tuned in there was a message about negotiations. I called and wrote regularly and some of my friends and neighbors cancelled. Hope we don’t lose ABC but I sure hope not. Good luck !

Honored Contributor

Nothing is happening here in Colorado. Directv programming as usual. We did lose FOX for about a month but it's back now.

Esteemed Contributor
Although I find that I’m watching less TV in general, I will say that ABC probably has the most network shows that I still do watch. With the new season starting, I hope this doesn’t happen. Fortunately, if there’s something that is absolutely MUST SEE, I can do what I did this summer with CBS and Elementary - watch on demand on my mother’s Comcast as I’m there weekly anyways. Not ideal, but would be okay for a few weeks.