Honored Contributor

Re: DID ANYONE WATCH PBS CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF LAST NIGHT?

I didn't see the allusion any time I have watched the movie, and he wasn't in the movie, he loved Maggie and when he found out shd didn't sleep with Skipper, he stopped being so made at her, and finally showed his love for her.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl If you're interested, read the opinions that apparently both Paul Newman and Tennessee Williams shared about the 'toned down' movie version of the play, which minimized Brick's sexual conflict. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_on_a_Hot_Tin_Roof_(1958_film)

They wanted a hit movie and they got one... Had Brick and Maggie's relationships with Skipper been explained more fully and had Brick's relationship with Maggie been more tepid, the audience likely wouldn't have been as satisfied... As it was written, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is not exactly a love story...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

oh yeah he was "Q"ing.....the "Q" in LGBTQ....."Questioning".Even Big Daddy knew it.....I've always seen it and wondered if the play presented it more plainly 

Also,ET and PN never looked better!!!

SisterWife and Queenie were Mae's nicknames.....

one on my alltime favorite movie exchanges

.....between Brick and one of the NoNecks

Dixie: Why's Uncle Brick on the floor?

Brick: Cause I tried to kill your Aunt Maggie...... and I fell ......and I failed

and, of course "the victory of a cat" lines are one of my top three of all movies lines

Honored Contributor

@BettyNewbie wrote:

oh yeah he was "Q"ing.....the "Q" in LGBTQ....."Questioning".Even Big Daddy knew it.....I've always seen it and wondered if the play presented it more plainly 

Also,ET and PN never looked better!!!

SisterWife and Queenie were Mae's nicknames.....

one on my alltime favorite movie exchanges

.....between Brick and one of the NoNecks

Dixie: Why's Uncle Brick on the floor?

Brick: Cause I tried to kill your Aunt Maggie...... and I fell ......and I failed

and, of course "the victory of a cat" lines are one of my top three of all movies lines

@BettyNewbie... Too funny... I forgot about that... Woman LOL

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

They were both beautiful.

Something I never had a clue about in all these years was that the Paul Newman character is gay. Never dawned on me. I always thought he was impo-tent. I had to laugh at myself. Dense much? They talked about that on TCM not long ago and it was a revelation to me.

Made me feel like I do when I discover I’ve been singing the words wrong to songs.

Spoiler

@Sadiesadie.  Your not alone ,  I didn't have a clue till I just read your post lol. Never even dawned on me 😀 have to say ET never looked more beautiful then in that movie ,  PN not bad either!   know what it feels like to find out you were singing  the wrong words ,  done that's once or twice  as well !  Lol 

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

On PBS here it was on last night as well as this morning. If you are a watcher of TCM it is on there quite often. Film buffs say Eliz. was robbed of an Oscar for this and was handed to her 2 years later for Butterfield 8 to make up for their mistake, believe what you want. I did a term paper on the plays of TW in college, there is much to be spoken for his work. Newman absolutely adored Liz after making this film with her, he was a great admirer of her and her body of work.

But, remember at the end of the film, Maggie did say she was pregnant.

@Shelbelle  Then she thanked Brick for not letting on about her lie.  They kissed so we are to believe that she will be pregnant before long.  Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  That's just the way I thought,  ,  the kiss implied that she would be soon.!

love the old movies.   Things were implied,  not just said.   Much more tasteful.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Love this movie. It appears fairly frequently on TCM.
Barbara Bel Geddes and Ben Gazzara were the original stars on Broadway. The screenplay is much more overt in exploring the sexuality dilemma of Brick. Tennessee Williams was not very happy with the movie script, which had to water down much of a dialogue in order to pass censors.
Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor are both stunning in this movie and the screen just explodes when they are on camera.

@bikerbabe

I saw it off Broadway, with Betsey von Furstenberg playing "Cat."  I was very young and didn't know much about homosexuality, so I guess I didn't get it.

When I saw the movie, I understood all of it.  It was one of Taylor's best movies.  And I don't think Newman ever made a bad one.  "The Long Hot Summer" with his wife, Joanne Woodward is one of my favorites and I own that one.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986