Honored Contributor

Re: DID ANYONE WATCH PBS CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF LAST NIGHT?

@Shelbelle wrote:

On PBS here it was on last night as well as this morning. If you are a watcher of TCM it is on there quite often. Film buffs say Eliz. was robbed of an Oscar for this and was handed to her 2 years later for Butterfield 8 to make up for their mistake, believe what you want. I did a term paper on the plays of TW in college, there is much to be spoken for his work. Newman absolutely adored Liz after making this film with her, he was a great admirer of her and her body of work.

But, remember at the end of the film, Maggie did say she was pregnant.

@Shelbelle  Then she thanked Brick for not letting on about her lie.  They kissed so we are to believe that she will be pregnant before long.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

On PBS here it was on last night as well as this morning. If you are a watcher of TCM it is on there quite often. Film buffs say Eliz. was robbed of an Oscar for this and was handed to her 2 years later for Butterfield 8 to make up for their mistake, believe what you want. I did a term paper on the plays of TW in college, there is much to be spoken for his work. Newman absolutely adored Liz after making this film with her, he was a great admirer of her and her body of work.

But, remember at the end of the film, Maggie did say she was pregnant.

@Shelbelle  Then she thanked Brick for not letting on about her lie.  They kissed so we are to believe that she will be pregnant before long.  Smiley Happy

Yes, hopefully Big Daddy would be around long enough to see that baby or to at least see she was pregnant.

Honored Contributor

I like when Maggie refers to Mae as "Queenie".

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter  What a money grubbing shrew Mae was.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Anyone recall what Maggie called Mae's kids in the beginning of the film, I forget her exact words for them, but it was not kind. .

Respected Contributor

No Neck Monsters !!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sadiesadie wrote:

They were both beautiful.

Something I never had a clue about in all these years was that the Paul Newman character is gay. Never dawned on me. I always thought he was impo-tent. I had to laugh at myself. Dense much? They talked about that on TCM not long ago and it was a revelation to me.

Made me feel like I do when I discover I’ve been singing the words wrong to songs.

Spoiler

His sexuality was one of those things movie censors at the time wouldn't allow, so it was only alluded to when discussing his good friend 'Skipper'... Interesting that Barbara Bel Geddes, the usually staid Miss Ellie, played Maggie in the original Broadway play.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Liz and Paul were more gorgeous than any two humans have a right to be. WOW!

Great when Liz  says to Paul, why can’t you just get fat or bald.......

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Anyone recall what Maggie called Mae's kids in the beginning of the film, I forget her exact words for them, but it was not kind. .

@Shelbelle  No neck little monsters, no  connection to the head, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Sadiesadie wrote:

They were both beautiful.

Something I never had a clue about in all these years was that the Paul Newman character is gay. Never dawned on me. I always thought he was impo-tent. I had to laugh at myself. Dense much? They talked about that on TCM not long ago and it was a revelation to me.

Made me feel like I do when I discover I’ve been singing the words wrong to songs.

Spoiler

His sexuality was one of those things movie censors at the time wouldn't allow, so it was only alluded to when discussing his good friend 'Skipper'... Interesting that Barbara Bel Geddes, the usually staid Miss Ellie, played Maggie in the original Broadway play.