Honored Contributor

Re: DID ANYONE WATCH PBS CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF LAST NIGHT?

@GingerPeach wrote:

@mousiegirl

I watched most of it, and then switched to TCM for "Cry Danger."  

I'd totally forgotten the plot of "Cat."  How much did you like the opening scenes of that bratty kid tossing ice cream onto her shoes?  And how bare legs were just not de rigeur.  (Although - movie magic aside - I was surprised a simple wipe with a towel was enough!)

@GingerPeach  She was wearing hose when the ice cream was flung, loved that she rubbed it in the girls's face though she just ate it, didn't bother her, lol.

I wondered also that she was putting new nylons on after just wiping the ice cream off of her legs with a towel, they must have still been sticky, and nice legs she had then.  I remember short Richard Burton said her legs weren't long enough, for what, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@mousiegirl

I watched most of it, and then switched to TCM for "Cry Danger."  

I'd totally forgotten the plot of "Cat."  How much did you like the opening scenes of that bratty kid tossing ice cream onto her shoes?  And how bare legs were just not de rigeur.  (Although - movie magic aside - I was surprised a simple wipe with a towel was enough!)

@GingerPeach  She was wearing hose when the ice cream was flung, loved that she rubbed it in the girls's face though she just ate it, didn't bother her, lol.

I wondered also that she was putting new nylons on after just wiping the ice cream off of her legs with a towel, they must have still been sticky, and nice legs she had then.  I remember short Richard Burton said her legs weren't long enough, for what, lol.

Right, @mousiegirl  She wiped her legs twice.  Once before removing the hose, and once again after.  If it had been me, I'd have either stuck my legs over a tub, or over a sink., and used running water and soap.  But that probably didn't work for the director!   It was much more seductive to keep her in the room.

Does anyone know if there is anything different in the original play?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

They were both beautiful.

Something I never had a clue about in all these years was that the Paul Newman character is gay. Never dawned on me. I always thought he was impo-tent. I had to laugh at myself. Dense much? They talked about that on TCM not long ago and it was a revelation to me.

Made me feel like I do when I discover I’ve been singing the words wrong to songs.

Spoiler

@Sadiesadie  He wasn't gay in the movie, so guess that was changed from the original.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

Another one of my favorites ....Newman and Taylor were at the top of

their game ....

my favorite line from the movie ..." it was the punch bowl honey .. the

cut glass punch bowl .....

it was a good one ....

@Big Joanie  So many good sayings come out of Southerners.

Respected Contributor

Oh how right you are .. and arn't we glad for it . !!!!!

Honored Contributor

Elizabeth Taylor was absolutely gorgeous in this movie. Paul is always gorgeous, lol.

Honored Contributor

Love this movie. It appears fairly frequently on TCM.
Barbara Bel Geddes and Ben Gazzara were the original stars on Broadway. The screenplay is much more overt in exploring the sexuality dilemma of Brick. Tennessee Williams was not very happy with the movie script, which had to water down much of a dialogue in order to pass censors.
Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor are both stunning in this movie and the screen just explodes when they are on camera.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
Love this movie. It appears fairly frequently on TCM.
Barbara Bel Geddes and Ben Gazzara were the original stars on Broadway. The screenplay is much more overt in exploring the sexuality dilemma of Brick. Tennessee Williams was not very happy with the movie script, which had to water down much of a dialogue in order to pass censors.
Paul Newman and Elizabeth Taylor are both stunning in this movie and the screen just explodes when they are on camera.

@bikerbabe  I could feel the heat, lol.

Honored Contributor

I'd never seen it and was looking forward to it.  Tuned in late, about 1/2 hour after it started, but could watch only 1/2 hour.  I loved the characters, esp Burl Ives, Liz, and Paul.  But there was too much shouting and anger; I just wasn't in the mood for that.  Maybe another time.

Honored Contributor

On PBS here it was on last night as well as this morning. If you are a watcher of TCM it is on there quite often. Film buffs say Eliz. was robbed of an Oscar for this and was handed to her 2 years later for Butterfield 8 to make up for their mistake, believe what you want. I did a term paper on the plays of TW in college, there is much to be spoken for his work. Newman absolutely adored Liz after making this film with her, he was a great admirer of her and her body of work.

But, remember at the end of the film, Maggie did say she was pregnant.