Honored Contributor

DEBORAH KERR FEST THURSDAY FROM 6:00 A.M. EASTERN ONWARD TCM

Deborah-Kerr-Burt-Lancaster-From-Here-to-Eternity-Fred.jpg

A Deborah Kerr marathon is always welcome!  You can record all day for fun weekend, or any time, binge-watching.  One of the most elegant, subtle and exciting of the British talents, a true great.

deborahkerr-4.jpg

She had that quality of genteel intelligence, but with a slow "smolder" underneath, and an edge of brittle hysteria that she could employ to devastating effect, as in "The

Innocents",  "Black Narcissus",  and "The Chalk Garden". 

EB20071018PEOPLE71018003AR.jpg

The marathon goes from 6:00 a.m. Eastern Thursday, to 5:30 a.m. Friday, and still doesn't plumb her depths and all she was capable of.

It starts with a bang with "The Hucksters" @ 6:00 Eastern, in which Kerr and Clark Gable are an interesting pairing.  She's a patrician, reserved Englishwoman, and he's a savvy advertizing man with something to prove, and on the make.  Nice, unexpected chemistry!

huck1.jpg

Other highlights are:  "The Innocents",  "Black Narcissus",  "An Affair to Remember",  "The Grass is Greener", and  "From Here to Eternity".   But no doubt, you have your own favorites among the line-up.

kerr-11111.jpg

Once again, TCM flubs by not including "The Chalk Garden",  in which Deborah Kerr, as a new governess with something to hide, takes on wayward young Hayley Mills in a remote English coastal estate.  John Mills is another employee who suspects Kerr has dark secrets, and likes her in spite of the subterfuge.   TCM shows this moody little gem only once in a blue moon.

The-Chalk-Garden-3.png

Anyway, it doesn't really get better than Deborah Kerr, in whatever guise we find her, does it?    Irreplaceable star!

portrait-of-actor-deborah-kerr-hulton-archive.jpg 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DEBORAH KERR FEST THURSDAY FROM 6:00 A.M. EASTERN ONWARD TCM

She was great in From Here to Eternity with that iconic beach scene, but my favorite of her films is An Affair to Remember!

Thanks, as always for the alert @Oznell !

Honored Contributor

I enjoy all of Deborah Kerr's movies. Her performances always excellent and yes, Oznell, you describe her perfectly!!!!  The Innocents is one of my favorite ghost stories, so well done and terrific performances, Deborah is perfect as the governess.  The settings and atmosphere bring scares throughout.  Love British acting.

Valued Contributor

The Journey with Yul Brynner. 

Respected Contributor

Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison - based on a true story.

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised they are not including "The Journey",  and "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" ,   two outstanding pairings of Kerr with Yul Brynner and Robert Mitchum, respectively, in this line-up, @KLm and @alliswell .  TCM sometimes misses the boat!

Oh-- just realized something.  I think I've only seen "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" on the Fox Movie Channel recently.  Maybe there are copyright issues preventing airing on TCM??

Honored Contributor

Re: DEBORAH KIERR FEST THURSDAY FROM 6:00 A.M. EASTERN ONWARD TCM

I love love love Heaven Knows Mr. Allison and am sorry it's not in this lineup. I've seen it at least 6 times and it just gets better. One of Robert Mitchum's best IMO.

Honored Contributor

DK is an excellent actress, IMO.  Would like to see Separate Tables as part of this "fest." Unfortunately, it seems TCM does not have the rights to Heaven Knows Mr. Allison, a rarely shown movie and one of my DK favorites.

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes, @kaydee50 ,  "Separate Tables" is a goodie too.  I'm thinking there are too many really great Deborah Kerr roles to fit into one marathon!

Unbelievably, D.K. was nominated fully SIX times for an Oscar--  and never won.  She 'wuz robbed'!  They did give her an honorary Oscar of some type.  Reminiscent of Cary Grant.

Honored Contributor

Today would have been her 100th birthday. What a nice tribute to her.

PS - I am reading Maureen O'Hara autobiography. She was the first choice to star in the King and I. Maureen O'Hara would have been able to do her own singing. But Richard Rogers vetoed her. So Marni Nixon sang for Deborah Kerr.