Honored Contributor

Re: DEAN MARTIN DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT TCM 8pm ET

@twinsister wrote:

@drizzellla   - I also read that Jerry Lewis was not a good father or husband and did not leave anything to his sons.  Supposedly everything went to his second wife and their adopted daughter.  Very sad for his sons.

I read this morning that Billy Hinsche of Dino, Desi and Billy died yesterday.  He was 70.  Just saw him on the documentary Friday night.  I remember them from my teen years - @Pearlee - do you remember them?

@twinsister  Yes I remember them, thanks for this news. EEK, 70 isn't old, as we both know!  He looked quite old in the doc. Were you able to watch the rest of it Sat.?

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I was able to watch most of the rest of it,  but then I received a phone call.

I'm sure they will repeat it again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee 

@Pearlee wrote:

@qvcaddition  Great stories!

Thanks, when you reach  85 and still remember the good times, it's good.

Actually, I remember JL was at that time, better looking that DM. in a different way. I remember, telling some of the kids there look, how handsome JL is.  We did get in trouble for cutting class.  A few teachers came looking for us.  I remember we saw them and we went to a coffee shop near by to hide, but they outsmarted us.

Got suspended for a week and my parents would not let me use the Telephone in all that time of suspension.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I was able to watch most of the rest of it,  but then I received a phone call.

I just checked my guide and I see an airing coming up on Friday, 11/26, at 9:30pm (I'm in Pacific time, so YMMV).   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

I just checked my guide and I see an airing coming up on Friday, 11/26, at 9:30pm (I'm in Pacific time, so YMMV).   Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt  - thanks so much!  I'll try again to see the end!

Esteemed Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@twinsister wrote:

@chickenbutt  - thanks so much!  I'll try again to see the e

@twinsister   thank you for posting that !  I missed it the first time around    Have it set to DVR now 😺
Esteemed Contributor

The documentary is quite good.  I had been told when Mr. Martin was alive and performing that he was quite different in real life from the onstage Rat Pack image of being a hard-drinking man who lives life in the fast lane.  Of course, the act was successful, so it became a part of Martin's weekly variety show.  That's ok with me because I may have been a kid when it aired, but it was must-see TV for me. I also enjoyed the movies with Jerry Lewis.  I forget how brief their time together was, but it produced some wonderful comedy.  Martin's smooth style and appearance were the perfect straight man contrast to Lewis's crazy antics and physical humor. 

Trusted Contributor

My first real crush. My grandmother listened to him constantly (along with Elvis). I remember one album cover where he was looking over his shoulder with his chin in his hand, iirc.
Swoon.
I have several of his songs on my playlist. I'll check out this documentary.
Esteemed Contributor

I watched the documentary the first night it was on. I'm old enough to remember Martin & Lewis and their breakup. I was a kid but I recall everyone thought Dean Martin was through. Wrong! 

I thought the program was well-done. It covered the details of Dean Martin's life and, importantly, the context of our culture and events in Dean's life.

Honored Contributor

local PBS stations have been running THE DEAN MARTIN and FRANK SINATRA FAMILY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL for the hoidays. has anyone seen it? it is so good......i watched it and recorded it. very fun and a little sad to watch......sad in that some of them are no longer with us. i dont think i realized just how many kids dean martin had!

this was from 1967. check our local PBS station websites. it has not been seen in its entirety since that year. there are new interviews with Nancy and Tina Sinatra and Gail and Deana Martin.

The Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra Family Christmas Show | Preview - Bing video

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein