Honored Contributor

DEAN MARTIN DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT TCM 8pm ET

The King of Cool is a documentary of Dean Martin airing tonight (see thread title).  In the article I read today about it, there was a very interesting story about why he didn't attend JFK's inauguration, which he was invited to. I won't go into here but that was so  interesting it made me want to watch this.

I'm old enough to remember his act with Jerry Lewis and remember when they split up. 

Respected Contributor

Re: DEAN MARTIN DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT TCM 8pm ET

@Pearlee I think his TV show was so entertaining. I never got to see them in Vegas, but the Rat Pack must have been something to see live on stage.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I read about this documentary, so my DVR is set.  Sounds interesting.  There will also be interviews with his daughter Deana and Nancy Sinatra.  The story about the inaugration was enlightening.  I remember Martin and Lewis.  Because of my mom I became a fan of Dean Martin and many years later I saw his show in Las Vegas. At the beginning of that show he raised his glass in tribute to his deceased son. It was very touching.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I read about this documentary, so my DVR is set.  Sounds interesting.  There will also be interviews with his daughter Deana and Nancy Sinatra.  The story about the inaugration was enlightening.  I remember Martin and Lewis.  Because of my mom I became a fan of Dean Martin and many years later I saw his show in Las Vegas. At the beginning of that show he raised his glass in tribute to his deceased son. It was very touching.

Lucky you @twinsister !  I give him much credit for not going to the inauguration; he sounds like a man of principle. Yes daughter Deana has a book out about him with lots of stories giving insight to Dean.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  I was recently reading a short item about Sammy Davis Jr. and learned about the contretemps involving the JFK inauguration. I was just astounded by it, though I probably shouldn't have been. I am just now learning about Dean Martin taking the stand he did. He did the right thing for the right reason.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info - got it set to record.

No doubt it will be enjoyable (at least for me) I had a “mad crush” on him. He was one cool dude!!!

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Pearlee  I was recently reading a short item about Sammy Davis Jr. and learned about the contretemps involving the JFK inauguration. I was just astounded by it, though I probably shouldn't have been. I am just now learning about Dean Martin taking the stand he did. He did the right thing for the right reason.

@stevieb  A sign of the times. Asounding now, not then.

Trusted Contributor

I'll be watching. I had the biggest crush on Dean Martin when I was young. I thought he had a better voice than Frank Sinatra and I loved his laid-back personality. He was a pretty good actor too. He was outstanding in "Some Came Running".

There was an anecdote a few years back comparing the Rat Pack to breeds of dogs. Frank Sinatra was a German Shepherd, a leader and highly intelligent. Sammy Davis, Jr. was a greyhound; sleek and fast. Peter Lawford was a cocker spaniel: cute, but not too bright. Joey Bishop was a beagle; warm and friendly. And Dean Martin was a cat. Great analogy!

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee   Setting my recorder for this.   I really liked Dean Martin - not his movies so much - but did see few of his t.v. shows in U.K. which were great fun.  Thanks for heads up.

Honored Contributor

THanks for the heads up on this documentary, I just taped it and look forward to seeing it.   In the fifties my father used to invite all his friends and families to our summer home.  Although very young at the time I loved when they visited.  During the evening hours My dad would put some music on while coffee and dessert was served.  One of his favorites was Dean Martin singing Sway!  To this day whenever I hear Dean sing Sway I am immediately transported to that time.  It also reminds me of my father who passed at age 51.  No singer since can ever sing Sway like Dean did.  I love all his music and he was funny and a good actor to boot.