Honored Contributor

Re: DEAN MARTIN DOCUMENTARY TONIGHT TCM 8pm ET

I can't believe Alec Baldwin crops up everwhere! Why on earth did the documentary filmakers ask him to put his 2 cents in?

Tommy Tune! Gosh I hadn't thought about him in 50 years or so!

Esteemed Contributor

I can remember my grandmother loving him.     My grandparents on my moms side were from Italy ,Naples .   She would swoon when he would sing in Italian , "Return To Me " was one of her favorites.  On sundays when the whole  family gathered at there home you always heard a Dean Martin albumn playing when we walked in !   Great memories.   He sure was one handsome man ,  and a much better singer than Frank Sinatra ever was.   I read this too late so didnt see the documentary .  Maybe I can catch it on demand .

Valued Contributor

I absolutly loved Dean Martin.  (I always thought he was the talent in the Martin & Lewis act.)  I watched and enjoyed the documentary although I would have liked more of Dean and his kids and less of the pop-up heads that gave their opinions.  Half of them I have never heard of and Alec Baldwin - really?   

I was surprised that they never mentioned Dean's third wife.  I believe her name was Kathy Hawn, and Dean actually adopted her son.  Guess there wasn't good feelings between Deana, who produced the documentary, and the third wife or Kathy didn't want to be mentioned.  Anyway I will always love Dean.  (He reminds me of my Italian father who was born the same year Dean was.).

Honored Contributor

Great documentary.  There is a a book-I think the title is Everybody Loves Somebody,etc.

I will look through our stuff and tell you all later. Anyway, book is chatty,gossipy and fine.

Honored Contributor

@daisy4 wrote:

I absolutly loved Dean Martin.  (I always thought he was the talent in the Martin & Lewis act.)  I watched and enjoyed the documentary although I would have liked more of Dean and his kids and less of the pop-up heads that gave their opinions.  Half of them I have never heard of and Alec Baldwin - really?   

I was surprised that they never mentioned Dean's third wife.  I believe her name was Kathy Hawn, and Dean actually adopted her son.  Guess there wasn't good feelings between Deana, who produced the documentary, and the third wife or Kathy didn't want to be mentioned.  Anyway I will always love Dean.  (He reminds me of my Italian father who was born the same year Dean was.).

@daisy4  They mentioned her! And showed her! You must not have watched the whole thing or left the room for a while  or something. They talked about her, his divorce from Jeanne to marry Kathy, and how he seemed to regret it later. And how he and Jeanne remained friends. Deana talked about how classy Jeanne was when he left her to marry Kathy, telling the kids not to badmouth Dean.  How did you miss all that?

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@daisy4 wrote:

@daisy4  They mentioned her! And showed her! You must not have watched the whole thing or left the room for a while  or something. They talked about her, his divorce from Jeanne to marry Kathy, and how he seemed to regret it later. And how he and Jeanne remained friends. Deana talked about how classy Jeanne was when he left her to marry Kathy, telling the kids not to badmouth Dean.  How did you miss all that?

I must have dozed off.  I don't remember seeing that.  Thanks for letting me know.  I felt like it had been left out.

Respected Contributor

@spiderw Dean's version of Sway remains one of my favorites----so sexy. I loved him.

Valued Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

I can remember my grandmother loving him.     My grandparents on my moms side were from Italy ,Naples .   She would swoon when he would sing in Italian , "Return To Me " was one of her favorites.  On sundays when the whole  family gathered at there home you always heard a Dean Martin albumn playing when we walked in !   Great memories.   He sure was one handsome man ,  and a much better singer than Frank Sinatra ever was.   I read this too late so didnt see the documentary .  Maybe I can catch it on demand .

Hi Kitty,

I saw the program last night.  If you missed it, it will be on TCM this evening from 6-8 PM.  I hope you'll be able to catch it as I very much enjoyed it.   docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I can't believe Alec Baldwin crops up everwhere! Why on earth did the documentary filmakers ask him to put his 2 cents in?

i didn't see the documentary @Pearlee  but I agree why on earth Alec baldwin I mean did he actually know Dean Martin 🤔Kind of doubt it 😏  Who needs his 2 cents as you put it perfectly!

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

i didn't see the documentary @Pearlee  but I agree why on earth Alec baldwin I mean did he actually know Dean Martin 🤔Kind of doubt it 😏  Who needs his 2 cents as you put it perfectly!

@Kitty Galore  He must have a great agent! This doc no doubt was made prior to the recent shooting event so I assume he'll be much less in demand.