Honored Contributor

DAYTIME PETER LORRE FEST ON TCM FRIDAY

[ Edited ]

All the way from groundbreaking noir "Stranger on the Third Floor" (in progress),  to comedy, to "Hotel Berlin" and of course, "The Maltese Falcon" and "M". 

I've never seen "Scent of Mystery"  airing at 2:00 p.m. Eastern. It's an English movie in which Lorre and Denholm Elliot (one of my favorite English actors) "try to save an heiress from murder in Spain".   Hmmm, sounds tantalizing, esp. with the one-of-a-kind Peter Lorre in a turnabout "good guy" role!

There's just no one like Peter Lorre-- a film original.

Edited to add:  Oops, forgot to post link to TCM schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

Honored Contributor

Re: DAYTIME PETER LORRE FEST ON TCM FRIDAY

Never cared for him.

I bought the Star magazine because had a story on Olivia DeHaviland turning 104.   WOW! She's gained lot of wgt. but, who gives a rip when your that old. Hair is about gone.  Article wasn't nothing didn't already know.

Had those quips about the fighting between her and her sister. Shame, that went on and on for so long, but, I can understand it I've got one of those too . LOL

Honored Contributor

Yes, @SharkE ,  I have a vague idea that Lorre had a very sad life too...   I used to not like him, but now I think he filled a niche in classic movies-- he was such an eccentric presence!   And that creepy, whispery voice....

Wow, I'd lost track of Olivia de Havilland's age-- knew she was over 100.  Hope she's having good quality of life.  I wonder if she has regrets about that lengthy feud.  Without any evidence, I'm thinking that Joan was more responsible for it, maybe, than Olivia.  Just based on certain tart remarks by Joan!  But who knows?

Honored Contributor

Watched the "M" w/ David Wayne as M (Raymond Burr was in that also). I think David Wayne was much better that Lorre.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  I loved Peter Lorre but for some weird reason cannot get TCM here in my part of CA got it all the time in AZ but not here!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Set my DVR for “Stranger on the Third Floor”. Never seen it. Haven’t watched yet. Great actor! Love him in everything, but my favorite is his role in “Arsenic & Old Lace”. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, @wilma ,  good example-- he was creepily terrific in "Arsenic and Old Lace"!