Honored Contributor

DAVID JANSSEN HOSTING "THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE"

Researching "The Fugitive" for this week, I came across this video of David Janssen, out of his "Dr. Richard Kimble" role, and basically being himself, hosting the popular "Hollywood Palace" variety show.

He has cute interactions with the famed Harlem Globetrotters, and especially, if you view the Part 2 of the video, he's a very good straight man for "prison warden" Tim Conway, although their sketch goes on too long for my taste-- but that's not the fault of the performers.  They are very funny, and DJ can hardly contain his laughter at Tim's antics.

But I can't watch the whole hour long video-- was most interested in the beginning, where DJ introduces himself.  You can definitely see the boyish charm and the slight, perfectly normal hesitancy he has in presenting himself outside of his comfort zone.  He's quite adorable (but we knew that, ha) and I love his manner and his vocal cadences-- he almost reminds me of a young Cary Grant, so charming is he.

Incidentally, "The Hollywood Palace" was fun, in its presentation of such a variety of different acts, somewhat like the old "Ed Sullivan" show.  The one (or several, I'm not sure) that magical Fred Astaire hosted, is one of the high points of Sixties' television-- he's just fabulous.

Anyway, thought the first few minutes of this video might be of interest to fans of Janssen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTiEcQZHNVc

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DAVID JANSSEN HOSTING "THE HOLLYWOOD PALACE"

So handsome 😍 I will be watching. @Oznell Thanks 

Honored Contributor

Good, @godi !   If you decide want to check in on the sketch with Tim Conway, it's here in Part 2 below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV1AZYWA0R8

Honored Contributor

@Oznell. I ran across either that one or another of him hosting the HP (he sure looked good in a tux. 🥰 ) when I was viewing Youtubes of Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks routines after Reiner died
I don't know if that is in the show you posted or not (I didn't open your link) but Brooks made a couple of funny comments to David about The Fugitive! The routine was pretty funny too although not one of the 2000 year old man.
Honored Contributor

Oh, that's got to be the same "Hollywood Palace",  @Pearlee ,  since DJ mentions at the beginning that later in the show, his basketball team (consisting of Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, et al, is going to take on the Harlem Globetrotters!

I didn't see it though, since I only watched a smidge of the Part 1 video, and a smidge of Part 2 to see DJ and Tim Conway in that absurd prison sketch.  I'm sure the two teams playing would be hysterical--  when I get a chance, will have to hunt up parts 3 and 4 of the show to see that!

Yes, a tux and DJ go together!   Come to think of it, he wore clothes in general exceptionally well-- he always looked good, whether in conventional street clothes of the time, or casual work togs...Heart