Honored Contributor

DANE CLARK, ALEXIS SMITH "WHIPLASH" THURSDAY 2:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

2:45 p.m. Eastern TCM--  "Whiplash"  Dane Clark, Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott, Eve Arden

This is a romantic melodrama with noir overtones, unknown to me.

But it has my beloved Zachary Scott, (albeit in an unsympathetic role), and lots of other stellar players.

Dane Clark is a struggling artist who is smitten by torch singer Alexis Smith.  Too bad she's already in a loveless marriage to nightclub owner Zachary, who has a mysterious hold over her and her physician-brother.  Clark is drawn even further into the web by forsaking art and becoming a boxer under the auspices of Smith's husband.  Confused yet?   I know I am.

Nevertheless, this sounds somewhat promising to me, in an overwrought, loaded-with-passion "Humoresque" kind of way.  Dane Clark ran the risk of being typecast as an artist, despite his stocky, George Raft-like persona.  Remember him as the combative painter who mixes it up with Bette Davis in "A Stolen Life"?  He's always good.  Alexis Smith is a perennial glamour girl, silky and stunning, there's even adorable S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall in this, and best of all, there's acerbic gal-pal, the invaluable Eve Arden. 

Here she is consoling the love-struck Clark, and scoring points off a fussy landlady as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=xPrtrWQX24k

This movie could be a double bill with the preceding "To Please A Lady", at 1:00 p.m. Eastern, with Clark Gable and Barbara Stanwyck.  He's a reckless race car driver, and she's a crusading journalist.  I seem to remember the film doesn't live up to the high wattage of its stars, but it might be worth a look.  Nothing Stanwyck does on screen is less than interesting-- she's the best!

Honored Contributor

Re: DANE CLARK, ALEXIS SMITH "WHIPLASH" THURSDAY 2:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I remember the titile, but not the movie. Seems like they're all in their usual roles, lol. Except Alexis Smith. I never could like her. I've always thought, 'no, wrong, just wrong' when I saw her in any role. I don't know why. I started liking Dane Clark because my DH does. (he loves gangster movies and DC did his share I think-if he didn't he should have!) Anyway, another movie to record for that rainy Sunday afternoon. Thnx, @Oznell

Honored Contributor

To me Alexis Smith, should have always played some "royality" role.  I just didn't see her as a common, everyday, down to earth person.  She had this air of supremecy about her.  Buy that's how I see her.

Honored Contributor

@Judalineand @qualitygal, your reactions to Alexis Smith are very interesting.  I've liked her in some things, and not in other things.  I think I see what you are saying-- there is a certain aloofness that she projects, esp. in her more glossy roles.

In this film, I think she is very much a "torn" character, a victim of circumstances not in her control.  When I've seen her in those sorts of parts, I've liked her better...  Now you've got me thinking and I'm going to see if my responses are similar to yours!

Honored Contributor

Did you all read the brief opening line to TCM's description of this movie?  It made me chuckle.

"An artist becomes a boxer but finds that it may not have been the best career choice."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @GingerPeach--  ever the understated TCM!

Respected Contributor

Thanks Oznell .. as always .. going in to watch it right now .... I had

a very busy morning running here there and everywhere .. so this

will make for a perfect afternoon ....

thanks again ......

Honored Contributor

Good, @Big Joanie!

Honored Contributor

Well, now that with our new TV we can DVR stuff, I was able to record this this afternoon, and then hubs and I just finished watching it now.  He liked all the boxing aspect of it-- I don't mind a little, but not avid to see people getting mashed to a pulp...

Liked the love story betw. Dane and Alexis.  I liked her in this-- her "aloofness" we were talking about earlier, "worked" for her in this, I think.  She had to be cool toward Dane Clark, but in turmoil and yearning for him inside.  She reminds me of Bacall, a little bit.

Dane Clark is appealing-- to me he's a bit of a cross between George Raft (tough and street savvy), and John Garfield (a little on the sensitive side, and soulful)....