Trusted Contributor

I don't watch because I have never heard of most the of participants and they always have annoying "stars" (such as the Bachelorette). But, as long as the show continues to let people vote, it will ALWAYS be a popularity contest. They took that long break and modified the rules to avoid another catastrophe like the guy who won last year, because of the viewers' votes, but it doesn't appear to be working. As long as the judges get the final say, he will not win, but his fans will probably put him into the finals.

And, I don't agree that he should be accused of making this political because he and his supporters encourage people to vote for him. How is that any different than what any other participant on the show does? They all have fan bases and urge them to vote. And, there have been other political participants before, so this is nothing new. I think the people who are making this political started with Tom Bergeron and it is being continued by other people who don't like who Sean Spicer worked for. That is on them - NOT Sean Spicer. 

Honored Contributor

I don't understand how anyone could think that Sean will win.  I think Sean will be in the final two, and the judges will pick the other person to win.  The judges pick from the bottom two each week.  They always score Sean the lowest.  Sean is a terrible dancer.  The judges will not vote for him to win.

I do like Sean better than I thought I would.  He seems like a nice guy, and he seems like he's trying.  He's not getting any better, though, and he really has no musicality.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I don't watch because I have never heard of most the of participants and they always have annoying "stars" (such as the Bachelorette). But, as long as the show continues to let people vote, it will ALWAYS be a popularity contest. They took that long break and modified the rules to avoid another catastrophe like the guy who won last year, because of the viewers' votes, but it doesn't appear to be working. As long as the judges get the final say, he will not win, but his fans will probably put him into the finals.

And, I don't agree that he should be accused of making this political because he and his supporters encourage people to vote for him. How is that any different than what any other participant on the show does? They all have fan bases and urge them to vote. And, there have been other political participants before, so this is nothing new. I think the people who are making this political started with Tom Bergeron and it is being continued by other people who don't like who Sean Spicer worked for. That is on them - NOT Sean Spicer. 

@Lisa now in AZ 

Yep, you make some excellent points....while popularity has been a part of it., just not to this extent, but I think the remarks Tom made are a big part of this too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Spicer is the new Bones, makes me sick!! The more Len chastizes Sean, the more votes he will get. 

Respected Contributor

My time zone can't vote because of the time difference.  I liked it better when the whole country could vote after the show and the couple would be voted off the following week.

Overall I like the show but some of the "celebrities" are just way too smiley/cutesy for me.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I never thought they should let the public vote. It should only be the judges.

@proudlyfromNJ   The whole draw of any of these shows is the public vote.

Who would watch if only judges could choose?

Audience participation drives these shows, be it dancing or singing.

And this remark is not directed at you but I find it amusing how rattled some get over Spicer. 

It's a show for entertainment, not a summit for world peace already.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

And this remark is not directed at you but I find it amusing how rattled some get over Spicer. 

@Cakers3  I can say I am not rattled over Spicer as I haven’t watched in about 3 seasons. I didn’t think they always had the audience vote in the beginning or did they? They have had a number of political people on the show so I don’t get what the problem is with SS. Edited to add, I prefer judges as to a popularity contest.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Cakers3  I can say I am not rattled over Spicer as I haven’t watched in about 3 seasons. I didn’t think they always had the audience vote in the beginning or did they? They have had a number of political people on the show so I don’t get what the problem is with SS. Edited to add, I prefer judges as to a popularity contest.

@proudlyfromNJ   We only watched the first season and I honestly do not remember if they had audience voting or not.

I'm not sure how popular the show has been through the years but certain contestants have really "spiced" thing up ( haha ).

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

You have to remember that the scores and the votes are different; Sean can have the lowest scores from the judges every week, but if he brings in the votes from the viewers, he gets to keep going. The show is no longer about dancing skills; that became clear when Bobby Bones won. Sean has huge name recognition so he gets a lot of votes. Same must have been for Bobby since he had a lot of listeners as a DJ. I think the way the judges get to eliminate someone live on the show is terrible. I think they take delight in it and will relish the idea of sending Sean packing. I have read that the contestants really like Sean because he is a very down to earth guy and isn't full of himself...but they will probably never admit it.....I hope he keeps going...he gets an A for effort anyway. I almost never watch the show anymore though....the Bobby Bones stunt exposed the show for what it has become....this year's new version doesn't look like much of an improvement to me.

Respected Contributor
Again (since we now have two threads running simultaneously)...those who are wringing their hands about the prospect of Spicer winning this season, are fretting over nothing. The JUDGES will pick the winner, and the judges have been unprofessionally flapping their gums, and projecting their sour faces, every week--because Spicer is still there.

Again...Did anyone really think 82-year-old Cloris Leachman--or any of the many past contestants with two left feet--would ultimately win this thing? Of COURSE not. Yet they were invited on, and participated along with the judges' fair-haired contestants, with the now-complaining Tom and Erin telling viewers to "vote for their favorite." Heck, they STILL do that. But they obviously mean, "Vote for your favorite [as long as it's not (insert name)]"

This has NEVER been presented as a professional dance competition folks, hence the viewer participation, the contestants' back stories and their sob stories.

The fact is that the judges, alone, want to pick the winner, so that's what they should do.

What worries you masters you.