Honored Contributor

DANA ANDREWS DOUBLE FEATURE, AND MORE, TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

0_3dRQVbIhcqzqnbj-.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Where the Sidewalk Ends"   Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Gary Merrill, Tom Tully, Ruth Donnelly, Karl Malden, Craig Stevens

Dana, Gene Tierney, and director Otto Preminger are united again after "Laura",  in a tense police noir.   Dana is a once-idealistic, bruised, embittered cop, who may have gone too far, and Gene is the glamorous but down-to-earth model he meets.  Tough film, excellent!   Dana's depths as an actor are well-plumbed here.

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "While the City Sleeps"   Dana Andrews, Ida Lupino, Vincent Price, George Sanders, Rhonda Fleming, Sally Forrest, Thomas Mitchell, Howard Duff, John Barrymore Jr.

whilethecitysleeps1956.2302.jpg

Lurid drama about a journalism empire's various power grabs, with tons of intrigue, and a sensational serial killer, "The Lipstick Killer", in the background.    Fritz Lang is one of my favorite directors.  This one of his has a curious, dark quality, and a fabulous, seething cast.   The irreplaceable Ida Lupino, in a smallish role (unfortunately), gets to be flamboyantly mischievous, and sizzle.

Other terrific Dana Andrews offerings this time, are his venture into British horror film turf, "The Curse of the Demon", (midnight Eastern)  and then another moody noir with Joan Fontaine,  "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt"    (7:15 a.m. Eastern, wee hours Wednesday).   And check your TCM guide for even more.

tumblr_58375272b7f345366a16c99793ca1afb_155e1b26_1280.jpg 

Honored Contributor

Re: DANA ANDREWS DOUBLE FEATURE, AND MORE, TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I didn't realize how many movies he's made.  So far I've really enjoyed My Foolish Heart and Daisy Kenyon.  Will record a few more of his.

One that is a hoot to watch if you're a fan of the movie Airplane! is Zero Hour.  The more serious version of that hilarious comedy!

Honored Contributor

Of course, I have seen Curse of the Demon many times!!!!!!  LOL

Thanks for the heads up on Dana Andrew;s movies, love him in Laura, doesn't everyone!  I will tape a couple of the movies you suggested, Oznell.  Dana wasn't a big stand out star as some actors were but he certainly made an impact in his movies and was respected and enjoyed in his roles. I liked that about him.

Honored Contributor

What do you think of "Fallen Angel",  if you've seen it, @kaydee50 ?   I've grown to like it more and more-- think it's one of his great little "un-sung" noirs.  He starts out as a kind of anti-hero, and "evolves".

Yes, @spiderw ,  "Curse of the Demon" is a nifty little horror movie, one that even a horror novice like I am, can appreciate!   Apparently the studio insisted on the literal showing of the "demon",  over the objections of the director.    It was too "creaky" I thought. I think it would have been more effective to leave that to the imagination, and also the cat, whose "fight" with Dana Andrews is not realistic....   Too bad the battle for subtlety was lost!   But still it's an engrossing, moody film, with a growing sense of menace.  

Honored Contributor

Oznell!

Excellent comments about Curse of the Demon !  I think Dana gave the movie some class and good acting, something many horrors lack!!!!!  I agree about the imagination doing its job when watching some of these horrors, that is why my favorite, The Haunting with Julie Harris frightened me to bits, just the atmosphere and sounds did it.