Honored Contributor

Re: D I C K VAN D Y K E ~CRASHES CAR

@threecees wrote:

I would not feel comfortable having a 97 year old drive a car.

He needs to retire from driving for his sake and everybody else on the road.

If you're lucky, you'll live that long and have trouble giving up your independence. Some people are ok driving at 97 and others aren't. I have compassion for him.

My 91 yr old dad struggled for a year with what to do when his license came up for renewal a couple of months ago. I was very proud of him when he chose to get an official ID instead. He hadn't driven for a year anyway. Two of us are retired and drive him anywhere he wants or needs to go.

Honored Contributor

I hope he is o.k.  I wish he would have gone to the hospital to be checked out, especially at his age.  I just love him, he is such a sweet guy!  I just loved him on the Masked Singer!  To be that age and to be still so active and engaged is amazing.  I really wish he would now consider not driving any more and having his wife drive him or getting a driver.  I realize it would be hard to give up driving.  Nobody wants to lose any part of their independence.  But he needs to think not only of his safety, but of everyone else who is on the road.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

Always a very difficult  situation where a family member has to step in and take the keys away from an elderly person due to safety reasons .

this man is a millionaire several times over. Why can't he hire a chauffeur? The man is a menace on the roads,

All he did was skid on a wet, rainy road! Anyone can skid. Maybe the guy's got a lead foot, who knows. Maybe he's a young 97. Maybe he's always been a bad driver. Let him take the driving test then see if he needs to be grounded. (Oh, Rob)

Trusted Contributor

His family should take the keys from him.  It isn't only about his safety, but the safety of others on the road.  

Honored Contributor

He is nearly 100 and he should not be driving.  Our reflexes and vision diminish as we age. Perhaps that was not the reason for the crash, perhaps it was.  We will never know.  In my state drivers over 75 must renew their license in person and then every 5 years after that.  It's a touchy subject since people do age differently.  I think most responsible seniors know when it's time to stop driving.  Whenever the idea of testing seniors yearly, and testing their vision and reflexes comes up....senior, the organizations that represent them and some families go berserk.  Statistically, teen drivers are a far greater risk on the eoad than seniors.

Respected Contributor

@walkingal wrote:

His family should take the keys from him.  It isn't only about his safety, but the safety of others on the road.  

Frankly I'm not quite sure what the man is thinking driving on freeways at age 97. His wife should be ashamed of herself allowing him to be a menace of roads.

Honored Contributor

I just read his wife has taken his keys. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I just read his wife has taken his keys. 

She's probably tired of "collecting" him.

What worries you masters you.