Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting the cable TV cord

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We had Spectrum cable and we now have Spectrum streaming.

DH and I made a list of must have stations which included our locals and then plus a few others.  The only streaming service that gave us all the channels that were must haves was Spectrum.

Every other service had some channels that we would have liked to have but were missing our must haves.  By the time we would have subscribed to multiple streaming services, we were up to the same cost as our cable was.

Even streaming though has gone up to a crazy price.  We started off at under $105.00 for high speed internet and streaming.  We are now up to almost $125.00 and we do not have a lot of channels at all.  In fact I think it's time for a trip into the cable company to see if there is anything they can do for us with the price.

Our tv has built-in Roku so I am able to download the app for some channels and watch them that way but they aren't live.    

@Lipstickdiva 

EXACTLY!!!  By the time you lose your cable bundling discount on your internet, and have to subscribe to various streaming services to get the same shows/channels (with me its live sports and TCM) it cost more than our cable service! And I prefer LIVE programming too so I stick with cable ---An antenna brings in very few options and not all of the local channels, it has to do with the tower location I was told....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@software wrote:

I keep the very minimum cable plan with Uverse, I also use them for internet.

Every year or so I call and beg for a loyal customer discount, right now it's $60 a month.   We only have Uverse on 2 TVs.    All the TVs in the house are smart TVs so there are plenty of options other than cable.    We "borrow" netflix.    I've made the most of free streaming services, we don't buy anything.

@software Very smart!

Can you  imagine how obnoxious the original price is for me to get a $60 discount??

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We had Spectrum cable and we now have Spectrum streaming.

DH and I made a list of must have stations which included our locals and then plus a few others.  The only streaming service that gave us all the channels that were must haves was Spectrum.

Every other service had some channels that we would have liked to have but were missing our must haves.  By the time we would have subscribed to multiple streaming services, we were up to the same cost as our cable was.

Even streaming though has gone up to a crazy price.  We started off at under $105.00 for high speed internet and streaming.  We are now up to almost $125.00 and we do not have a lot of channels at all.  In fact I think it's time for a trip into the cable company to see if there is anything they can do for us with the price.

Our tv has built-in Roku so I am able to download the app for some channels and watch them that way but they aren't live.    

@Lipstickdiva 

EXACTLY!!!  By the time you lose your cable bundling discount on your internet, and have to subscribe to various streaming services to get the same shows/channels (with me its live sports and TCM) it cost more than our cable service! And I prefer LIVE programming too so I stick with cable ---An antenna brings in very few options and not all of the local channels, it has to do with the tower location I was told....

I think it also depends on how you watch TV.  I have one of mine on all day and much of the night.  Sometimes my satellite is only off for the time it takes to reboot itself in the middle of the night.  I often fall asleep (when I do sleep) with the TV on, wake up to it and continue watching.  And I can't get any local stations with an antenna, for another thing.  Most of the shows I see advertised on some sort of streaming service I wouldn't watch, or they eventually come to network television and I get to see them.  I constantly use my DVR too.

I'll keep my satellite service and reduce other expenses if necessary.  

Esteemed Contributor

HD indoor antennae