Trusted Contributor

I apologize in advance, I'm sure this question has been asked umpteen times.  But my cable provider jacked up our rates so ridiculously, it's time to move on.

We already have a Roku stick.  So far I've looked at DirectTV streaming and Sling, and Sling seems less costly.  The problem is, we don't want to lose our local stations.

I also need to figure out the internet thing.  We don't have many choices here.

How did you cut the cord in your home? 

Contributor

Re: Cutting the cable TV cord

We have an attena for local channels, and use Roku and pay for Philo.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I apologize in advance, I'm sure this question has been asked umpteen times.  But my cable provider jacked up our rates so ridiculously, it's time to move on.

We already have a Roku stick.  So far I've looked at DirectTV streaming and Sling, and Sling seems less costly.  The problem is, we don't want to lose our local stations.

I also need to figure out the internet thing.  We don't have many choices here.

How did you cut the cord in your home? 

Following.  We have wanted to cut cable for years.  Can't figure it out.  To make matters worse, we have DirectTV in basement (on 5 TV's which includes a home theater) and Comcast in the rest of the house but neither provider can support all the TV's.  We've cut Direct TV down the the very minimum.  Our cable provider is also our internet provider and if we discontinue just the cable, our internet will go threw the roof.  

Honored Contributor

I keep the very minimum cable plan with Uverse, I also use them for internet.

Every year or so I call and beg for a loyal customer discount, right now it's $60 a month.   We only have Uverse on 2 TVs.    All the TVs in the house are smart TVs so there are plenty of options other than cable.    We "borrow" netflix.    I've made the most of free streaming services, we don't buy anything.

Frequent Contributor

I have an antenna a fire stick and pay for prime.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My plan with Comcast includes my cable TV, land line and internet, I have no plans to get rid of it. all of my TV's now are very old, and I need the cable boxes to have them work. My plan also includes free Netflix, Peacock. 

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover When RCN raised my monthly rates for cable/internet/phone by $60!!! I called them.  They saw I had been a customer for more than 4 years--a long time I gathered from what the rep said--and gave me a "loyal customer" discount, which raised my rate by $10!!!  I stayed with them.  I do not want to deal with "streaming" services or various providers.  Works for me!!!

Honored Contributor

We had Spectrum cable and we now have Spectrum streaming.

DH and I made a list of must have stations which included our locals and then plus a few others.  The only streaming service that gave us all the channels that were must haves was Spectrum.

Every other service had some channels that we would have liked to have but were missing our must haves.  By the time we would have subscribed to multiple streaming services, we were up to the same cost as our cable was.

Even streaming though has gone up to a crazy price.  We started off at under $105.00 for high speed internet and streaming.  We are now up to almost $125.00 and we do not have a lot of channels at all.  In fact I think it's time for a trip into the cable company to see if there is anything they can do for us with the price.

Our tv has built-in Roku so I am able to download the app for some channels and watch them that way but they aren't live.    

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover I will not lie. It hurts. I love TV. I just couldn't pay the price for all of the stations, most of which I didn't ever look at. Sports. We got an antenna, which doesn't pull in much, but we are in the country surrounded by trees. It does get ABC, NBC & The CW & then a lot of stations that, again, I never look at. Escape, Laff, Grit, Bounce, etc.

I have Amazon Prime ($120 a year for those services.), Hulu is $12.86 a month for the commercial free version (A couple of shows have commercials at the start & end of the show.). Disney+ is $8.58 a month & I share it with my daughter. She has Netflix & I can watch hers.

So I pay $31.44 a month & it is fine. I really, really, really miss my DVR, but most things I can find on Hulu or Youtube. 

It's an inconvenience. Not a tragedy. 

I have my internet through Spectrum & it is $74.99 a month. I have no complaints about my internet service.

Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We cut the cord 2 years ago and never looked back. DirectTV was going to raise my prices $65 a month and would not budge for basically nothing but informercials, religion, Spanish and kiddie shows. We have Amazon Prime, Roku and Hulu. Hulu is $65 a month and it's pretty close to cable and has local channels. I have more than enough to watch.