Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Just read that a sequel is in the works (not 100%). Crazy Rich Asians is part of a trilogy; I did not originally know this, but now hoping all three books get made and the next two are as much fun as the 1st!

https://ew.com/movies/2018/08/22/crazy-rich-asians-sequel-jon-m-chu/

Honored Contributor

I really enjoyed it. The actors were charming, the scenery was beautiful, the wardrobe was beautiful. Thumbs up from me.

Constance Wu is so appealing, what a beauty too. You fall in love with her in this movie. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I liked it.  I didn't love it.  I thought it was darling.  I'd give it a B plus.  I haven't read the book.  Hubby thought it was cute too! 

Singapore is beautiful!

I need to read the book!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Going to see it this afternoon, much better than Mission Impossible 100 (lol) which ws DH's choice

My sister walked out of Mission Impossible.  She thought it was awful.  I didn't see it, but I knew I"d not like it.  

My BIL thought it was only ok. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

For those of you who also read the book, they did a pretty good synopsis but made some changes towards the end to both major story lines.

Honored Contributor

I'm seeing it at 5:00 p.m. ET today!

Trusted Contributor

My husband and I both enjoyed the movie very much.  He is Asian and many of his children and grandchildren, all who are Asian, have seen the movie and loved it. 

Valued Contributor

my husband & I saw it this afternoon & both loved it..I am VERY picky about big screen movies..I think it was a really fun, love story..not meant as a spoiler, but to everyone who has seen it, with all the family issues, notice who was missing? Interesting—looking forward to the sequel! 

BTW, sure didn’t see anything to look forward to after seeing the previews!

Respected Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

my husband & I saw it this afternoon & both loved it..I am VERY picky about big screen movies..I think it was a really fun, love story..not meant as a spoiler, but to everyone who has seen it, with all the family issues, notice who was missing? Interesting—looking forward to the sequel! 

BTW, sure didn’t see anything to look forward to after seeing the previews!

@Evie2004 Are you talking about Nick's father? (I don't think that's a spoiler since he doesn't appear in the film at all.) This is somewhat explained in the book, but was never really touched on in the movie. 

In the book, Nick's father lives in Australia for business. He's mostly in the background, but does come to Singapore for Colin's wedding. He's a barely-there character in the book and a not-there-at-all character in the movie.

If you enjoyed the movie, I recommend the book. There are considerable differences (especially the ending!) and there are characters and stories in the book that did not make it into to film. Astrid and cousin Eddie both have more prominent stories in the book and I look forward to seeing more of those in the sequel, if they make one.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm seeing it at 5:00 p.m. ET today!

I did see this film the day I posted.  My friend and I both thought "it was cute" and I'm glad I saw it but wouldn't ever watch it again.  I think it was just about one step up from the caliber of a TV show.   There were some cute jokes but the side stories were unnecessary and I never really cared about those characters (e.g. the woman whose husband was cheating) and IMO they served as time fillers. I also had trouble keeping the younger (not the older) women straight because many looked too much alike to me.  I didn't have that issue with the men.

I will say that the cinematograhy was superb and the scenes of Singapore, esp. at night, were just gorgeous.  Watching the film made me want to go to Singapore.  IMO the movie was so pretty that it was worth going just for the visuals.