Esteemed Contributor

I'll be seeing the movie "Crazy Rich Asians" later on this week. I really wanted to see this movie this weekend but we has an informal school reunion to go to that was planned months ago.

I have the book series by Kevin Kwan and I recommend them if you are looking for fun summer reading.

Esteemed Contributor

OK I saw the movie "Crazy Rich Asians" last night and I love it! Rachel's blue Marchesa dress at the wedding scene is to die for!

If you want to read some behind the scenes dish about the movie, check out the Hollywood Reporter as they've got a lot of articles about the movie including:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/crazy-rich-asians-story-behind-rom-com-1130965

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/crazy-rich-asians-cast-reveal-secrets-set-1134294

If you love the fashions in the movie check out the Huffington Post's article with the costume designer:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/crazy-rich-asians-fashion_us_5b747b48e4b0df9b093ba2e6

Valued Contributor

I saw it Saturday night with a friend.  We both really enjoyed it.  There are some laugh out loud moments.  The scenery is beautiful.  A very nice escape for a couple of hours.  The theater, btw, was packed.

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

I thought Joy Luck Club provide an insider's glimpse of some Chinese Americans but it resonated with me as an African American.  It was the theme of mother daughter relationships. Saw it with a friend who is a 1.5 Korean American and we laughed and cried throughout.   Afterwards, we went to dinner at a Korean restaurant.  It was a wonderful evening.  Same experience with Smoke Signals by Sherman Alexie; touched deeply and my group of interracial friends responded similarly including my Native American friend. I mention our racial, ethnic, and or cultural identities to suggest that through the lenses of specific cultures, universal themes affected us all.

BTW, the suggestion to donate to the SPLC is a wonderful idea.

Would it offend you if it was African Americans instead of Asians?  I am being very sincere to me, because I don't know about anything but the title, but I have honestly wondered if it isn't sort of culturally insensitive. . . I would like some opinions on this.  And don't just say it's all in fun, 'cause that's not what I'm talking about.  That's so often been an excuse. . .

Honored Contributor

My family has Asians and white people and I'm a little of both. I don't find the title of the movie offensive at all. I haven't seen it yet and the title would not make any difference to me whether or not to see it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Saw this yesterday with the girls. There were 5 of us - 2 didn't care for it, the rest liked it. I thought it was good.

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.instagram.com/crazyrichasianswardrobe/

Have fun scrolling through the luxury fashions of the movie in an instagram account about the fashions. I love Astrid's Dior outfit and Rachel's Marchesa gown but also look at how the gents are dressed. You can tell that a lot of thought went into picking the right outfits to fit each actor's character.

Honored Contributor

This was #1 at the box office over this past weekend.

Valued Contributor

I saw it last Thursday and loved it.

I've read all the books ~ but I don't really care if movies "follow the book" ~ it's a totally different medium.

I can't figure out why people get so excited and upset when a movie isn't exactly like the book that it's based on. 

Great scenery ~ fast moving (although, it did drag a little at times) ~ it was very entertaining.

Honored Contributor

The movie was my Tuesday pick today. Saw the first show so although there were more people than usual, it was far from packed. Enjoyed it and did laugh out loud several times. I was more fascinated with the scenery than the fashions but that's my normal.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~