Trusted Contributor

I thought Joy Luck Club provide an insider's glimpse of some Chinese Americans but it resonated with me as an African American.  It was the theme of mother daughter relationships. Saw it with a friend who is a 1.5 Korean American and we laughed and cried throughout.   Afterwards, we went to dinner at a Korean restaurant.  It was a wonderful evening.  Same experience with Smoke Signals by Sherman Alexie; touched deeply and my group of interracial friends responded similarly including my Native American friend. I mention our racial, ethnic, and or cultural identities to suggest that through the lenses of specific cultures, universal themes affected us all.

BTW, the suggestion to donate to the SPLC is a wonderful idea.

Esteemed Contributor
I just got back from seeing Crazy Rich Asians and I really enjoyed it! Even though I haven’t read the book and only had the previews to go on, the movie was exactly what I wanted. Was so nice to see a real romantic comedy in the theaters!
Regular Contributor

Saw this yesterday with my daughter. She said the book is far different than the movie. So anyone who has read the book should be prepared.  

We both thought it was pretty good - probably around a B.

The wealth displayed is absolutely insane - thus the "crazy rich" part.  If any of that is true, WOW is all I can say.

Honored Contributor

Going to see it this afternoon, much better than Mission Impossible 100 (lol) which ws DH's choice

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I really liked that movie The Joy Luck Club. My mother is Japanese, born and raised, and I am half so it hit very close to home for me. I would like to see Crazy Rich Asians. I personally know a few of them irl.

Respected Contributor

In this movie, some Asians were crazy rich, while others were (a bit) crazy & rich.

Honored Contributor

Hope I can see it next week, I'd like to see the Spike Lee movie too.

I've read that the wardrobe is fabulous in Crazy Rich Asians. Read an article last week about the wedding dress.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I saw clips of this, and thought it had potential. Singapore has long been a place I've dreamed of and found fascinating.  However, the production's decision to go with a title like that, puts me off, candidly.  I wouldn't like that kind of title no matter what group was being portrayed.

Am well aware that the filmmakers no doubt think they are being edgy and "inside baseball" and all that with the title, but to me, it's too off-putting.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I saw clips of this, and thought it had potential. Singapore has long been a place I've dreamed of and found fascinating.  However, the production's decision to go with a title like that, puts me off, candidly.  I wouldn't like that kind of title no matter what group was being portrayed.

Am well aware that the filmmakers no doubt think they are being edgy and "inside baseball" and all that with the title, but to me, it's too off-putting.

The filmmakers? They didn't create the title @Oznell. The book's author did. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Saw it this afternoon and DH and I loved it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.