Respected Contributor

Crazy Rich Asians

[ Edited ]

I saw this this AM and for the first time since I've started going to week day AM movies, the theater was full.

I do not know what I was expecting but it certainly was different.  If anyone has ever complained about the amount of money Americans spend on weddings, wait until you see this one. (and the bachelor and bachelorette parties)

The Singapore skyline is like no other in the world.

I forgot to say, I thought the movie was good but not great.  I'd give it a B.

Honored Contributor

From what I've seen of this, it looks like a lot of fun.

I hope to see it when it hits HBO or the like.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@lulu1  So you did like the film or not?

One review I read said people should see it just for the beautiful shots of Singapore.

I wouldn't go to a film just for that reason though.

So I'm wondering how you liked it.

Esteemed Contributor

I am reading the book and will probably see the movie next week.

Respected Contributor

i just saw this last nite.  i don't go to many movies, but was looking to see what was at the theatre in town.  

Nothing really interested me, but because i hadn't heard of this one, i checked rotten tomatoes.  they gave it a 93%. 

so that decided it.   It was pretty good.  Plot was fairly predictable, but had several very sweet moments. 

On a side note, i got carded by the guy selling tickets, wanted to make sure i was a senior!!   What?!

Respected Contributor

I really enjoyed the book and have a ticket to see it tomorrow. I love Constance Wu and Michelle Yeoh.

Honored Contributor

I read the book some time ago and LOVED it! And "crazy" doesn't refer to the Asians. It means "crazy rich"!!!

Trusted Contributor

I will see it this weekend.  Some Asian Americans have written that they are visible through culturally specific lenses for the first time since "The Joy Luck Club." Some of the reaction is comparable to "The Black Panther."  Check out "The BlackKlansman also; highly recommended for the storytelling, insights, acting, and musical score.

Respected Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

I will see it this weekend.  Some Asian Americans have written that they are visible through culturally specific lenses for the first time since "The Joy Luck Club." Some of the reaction is comparable to "The Black Panther."  Check out "The BlackKlansman also; highly recommended for the storytelling, insights, acting, and musical score.

I'm excited about both! I'm planning to see Blackkklansman next weekend. I noticed today that the Alamo Drafthouse theater chain App asks if you would like to make a donation to the Southern Poverty Law Center when you check out, which I think is fantastic.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

The Joy Luck Club was such a good movie.