Honored Contributor

Re: Country Music Ken Burns Doc Starts Tonight

[ Edited ]

Guess whose birthday is today, September 17?

HANK WILLIAMS celebrated this day.  Tragically, he had too few birthdays (he lived to be  only 29).  He was born on September 17, 1923.

"Your Cheatin' Heart"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4LCoh0VGQ

Respected Contributor

I have been watching and enjoying this.  While I've been familiar with most of the performers profiled, there were a few people I didn't know mentioned in the first two episodes.  Interesting to me the ones I had never heard of who were apparently very successful, like the family they mentioned that tried to walk from Alabama to California.  I think they were the Maddox family?  It was nice to hear Minnie Pearl's story and that she was from an affluent family.  My parents took me to the Opry around 1976 and I remember seeing her and Roy Acuff.  Dolly Parton was the star of the show that day.  

I also thought the story of Grandpa Jones was funny - that he always sounded old so they told him to dress up as a Grandpa and he did until finally he did it so long he didn't need the makeup!  I remember him from Hee Haw.  

I don't know if I am going to make it through tonight's show because I'm really tired.  I am looking forward to seeing the episode about the 70's and early 80's that has a lot of the music that I grew up with.  

Honored Contributor

Goldie76 !

You are correct in your comments, there were many influences for Country music and the series has pointed it all out.  I am not a Country Western fan and wasn't going to watch but I gave it a shot and am enjoying it.  I do like the old timers and am not at all familiar with the new singers.  

I thought the segment on Hank Williams was well done but very tragic and I was teary eyed at the end.  He was only 29 when he passed. My favorite song by him is I'm So Lonesome I could Cry.  

Tomorrow the series will touch upon Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash among others of that time.  My uncle was a big Patsy Cline fan and kept pushing her music when I was a teen and into my music.  When I was older I did appreciate her songs and she too had a tragic end.  

Burns is a master at this type of documentary.

Respected Contributor

Didn’t know it was on. Found it by accident. My best friend’s  father had a country and western band. Was around it all the time. Because of it I loved the music. Only saw about the last half hour. Brought tears to my eyes. As I grew a little older we both loved rock and roll. So many memories.

Honored Contributor

I've seen the first two.  Tremendous!!!  I can hardly wait to see the rest.  I can't say when I have enjoyed watching something so much.  Mr. Burns is a genious.  The evolution of country music is fascinating --- just fascinating.  I am learning so much.  I never really cared for or appreciated country music until the last couple years of my life.  For those who haven't watched, please try and tune in!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

It’s a Ken Burns production, so it should be good. I won’t watch because I just cannot listen to country music. Too much “Twang, twang....” and that awful singing through the nose. 

@libbyannE 

You are right about the twang and the nasal singing of the old music but there is so much more to this series than that.  I was never a fan of country music until the last couple years of my life and there is still a lot of it that I do not care for, but I am honestly learning so much about the evolution of this music and I am enjoying it so much.  Maybe give it a try --- you might be pleasantly surprised!

Honored Contributor

@golding76 

Hank Williams --- "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" --- YES!  Love it.  Every time I hear these songs, I am reminded of my dear father.  He so loved this guy.  And others of this era.  Loretta Lynn and Johnny Cash, etc.  Goes straight to your heart! 

Honored Contributor

A good column in today's Washington Post on D.C.'s intriguing dual personality of being a capital city while, at the same time, loving the supposedly unsophisticated country music sound:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/washington-the-capital-city-thats-always-been-a-country-outpost...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

If this does not make you like (even love) country music, nothing will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e0EHs4zFNI

@golding76  yep, still not a country music fan!! Smiley LOL I'm a Darius Rucker fan, though- I've seen him live 'country', plus with Hootie & the Blowfish. Much prefer the later!!

I'll watch the Burns series though- i enjoy the historiical origins of all genres of music. I loved the movie 'Straight Outta Compton' and rap/hip hop isn't my thing either!

Trusted Contributor

Someone once said of country music :  “it’s just 3 chords and the truth”. 

Find that music dull and silly, and 8 hours á la Ken Burns is a huge yawn for me. I’ll have to miss this epic, without regret. 

To those who are enthusiasts, enjoy it.