Honored Contributor

Re: Country Music Ken Burns Doc Starts Tonight

I caught part of one episode recently.  I didn't know it was a series.  I'll have to keep checking.

Just "googled" ..... lots of links online.  

Honored Contributor

Each episode is repeated each night; they are played two times each night.

Honored Contributor

So far, each episode has been great. Peter Coyote does an excellent job narrating. It is story-telling at its best.
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@golding76 

Hank Williams --- "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" --- YES!  Love it.  Every time I hear these songs, I am reminded of my dear father.  He so loved this guy.  And others of this era.  Loretta Lynn and Johnny Cash, etc.  Goes straight to your heart! 

@AngelPuppy1   With my dad bring such a big fan of Hank Willisms and hearing his music playing all the time when I was very young.  Very well done ,  I enjoyed it but his life was so sad and tragic it had me in tears ,  plus thinking of my dad and his love for all the classic country. 

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@golding76 

Hank Williams --- "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" --- YES!  Love it.  Every time I hear these songs, I am reminded of my dear father.  He so loved this guy.  And others of this era.  Loretta Lynn and Johnny Cash, etc.  Goes straight to your heart! 

@AngelPuppy1   With my dad bring such a big fan of Hank Willisms and hearing his music playing all the time when I was very young.  Very well done ,  I enjoyed it but his life was so sad and tragic it had me in tears ,  plus thinking of my dad and his love for all the classic country. 

@Kitty Galore 

Me, too! I was happy and sad at the same while watching this segment with Hank Williams.  For the same reasons as you stated.  It brought back all those memories of my father.  He loved this music so much and it meant so much to him and brought him so much happiness.  I am sorry that I was so young when my father passed and that I did not really get to share this passion with him!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I finished the second installment an hour ago.  What works for me is to watch an hour and then stop for another time.  In this way, I get to digest much of the script.

Already familiar with the tragic end of Hank Williams, I thought that I would not be extremely moved by a recounting of his last, sad moments on Earth.  Boy, was I ever wrong.  Tears came.  Lots of them and deep heartache.

Also very affecting (for me) was the statement that Hank's music could "go where he couldn't."  In other words, his songs were recorded by pop artists such as Tony Bennett, Perry Como and Louis Armstrong, but Williams himself was never welcome in the venues where those pop stars appeared.  Williams was a "hillbilly" and not attractive to a large segment of the population.  This information broke my heart.  I imagine this is what early R&B African-American singers and songwriters felt when their music was popularized by (and made money for) the White entertainers.

Tony Bennett scored a hit with Williams's "Cold, Cold Heart."  Hank had a hit on the Country & Western charts, for sure, but Bennett got the hit on the Pop/Rhythm & Blues charts.  This was one of Bennett's earliest hits; I remember when it came out.

Tony Bennett singing "Cold, Cold Heart":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORPxmsBJoE

Honored Contributor

I don’t think anyone has to be a fan of country music to enjoy these shows...such great history
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I don’t think anyone has to be a fan of country music to enjoy these shows...such great history

I agree, the series is very interesting.