Honored Contributor

'Cops' Cancelled, 'Live PD' on the Chopping Block Now

The show 'Cops; which was supposed to debut it's new 33rd season this past weekend has be 'defunded' and will not be back.

'Live PD' is also being considered for cancellation now, according to multiple news sources.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Police video and documents released more than a year after the in-custody death of a black man in Texas show that sheriff’s deputies repeatedly used a stun gun on him despite multiple pleas that he couldn’t breathe following a chase after he failed to dim his headlights.

The revelations in the 2019 death of Javier Ambler raise questions about Williamson County deputies’ practice of pursuing drivers for minor crimes, according to a report published Monday by the Austin American-Statesman and KVUE-TV. A local prosecutor involved in the investigation of Ambler’s death also says the circumstances are troubling because it was being filmed for A&E Network’s real-time police show “Live PD.”

The details about Ambler, a 40-year-old father of two boys, come as worldwide protests continue following the death of George Floyd, a black man who died after a white Minneapolis police officer pressed his knee into Floyd's neck for several minutes while taking him into custody. Thousands paid their respects to Floyd on Monday at a public viewing of his body at a church in Houston, where he lived most of his life.

Ambler died March 28, 2019, after he was driving home following a poker game with friends, according to the report. Williamson County Deputy J.J. Johnson, who is regularly featured on “Live PD,” flipped on his flashing lights to pull Ambler over after noticing that he kept on his bright headlights facing oncoming traffic. After Ambler refused to stop, Johnson and the film crew riding along with him began chasing him until he crashed his vehicle near downtown Austin.

Johnson drew his gun and demanded Ambler to exit his car. Ambler, who weighed 400 pounds (181.44 kilograms), got out and showed his hands. Johnson, who is black and about half Ambler’s size, holstered his gun, pulled out his Taser and told him to get down several times.

It appeared Ambler turned toward his vehicle, and Johnson subsequently used his Taser, according to an internal investigative report the Statesman obtained under the Texas Public Information Act. Ambler dropped to one knee, rolled onto his back and stomach and appeared as though he was trying to stand.

Another Williamson County sheriff's deputy, who is white, arrived with a “Live PD” crew and shoved his Taser into Ambler’s back. As a struggle ensued, one of the deputies used a Taser on Ambler a third time, though the report says it's unclear which deputy deployed his weapon.

An Austin police officer arrived at the scene as the officers struggled to handcuff Ambler. Body camera video from that officer recorded the final minutes of Ambler’s life.

Between gasps, Ambler says he’s trying to adhere to their commands. He tells the deputies four more times that he can’t breathe and pleads, “save me.”

“I have congestive heart failure,” Ambler said. “I am not resisting."

One of the deputies deployed his Taser a fourth and final time, the body camera video shows. The deputies subsequently placed handcuffs around Ambler’s wrists after his hands went limp. The officers then realized he was unconscious and his pulse had stopped. Deputies performed CPR for several minutes until medics arrived.

Ambler was later pronounced dead.

Investigators with the Williamson County sheriff’s department of internal affairs determined in a report that the deputies did not violate the agency’s pursuit or use-of-force policies, according to the Statesman. The report did not indicate whether the deputies faced any disciplinary action or were forced to take time off because of the incident.

Ambler’s death was ruled a homicide, according to the report made to the state attorney general’s office, which noted that the homicide could have been “justifiable.”

An autopsy revealed he died of congestive heart failure and hypertensive cardiovascular disease associated with morbid obesity “in combination with forcible restraint."

Margaret Moore, district attorney for Travis County, which includes the part of Austin where Ambler died, said her civil rights division is still investigating the death, though she did not indicate why the probe has taken 15 months. She added that her office intends to present the case to a grand jury.

Williamson County Sheriff Robert Chody said Monday that he can't comment on Ambler’s death due to the ongoing investigation. “Live PD” didn’t respond to requests for comment. The video its crew recorded that night has not aired.

Javier's mother, Maritza Ambler, said in a recent interview that she's been consumed by nightmares that her son met the same devastating fate as Floyd. Maritza added that she often warned him about interactions with law enforcement.

“I would mention it to him, just to remind him, he is a minority,” she said. “You have that against you, your color.”

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: 'Cops' Cancelled, 'Live PD' on the Chopping Block Now

This was posted on the why is LivePD not on post 

From Dan Abrams:

To all of you asking whether LivePD is coming back. . .The answer is yes. All of us associated with the show are as committed to it as ever. We are still discussing some specifics but I want to assure the LivePDNation that we are not abandoning you.

Frankly people need to see police doing good. All we see on media outlets is the bad ones. Framing all police as bad is no better than doing that to any other group. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

If someone tells you they can't breathe, believe them. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom. Yes, I posted the cancellation news about Cops yesterday on the already-existing LivePD thread.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It saddens me that police are hated and people are rooting for this show to be canceled. Just a couple of weeks ago on LivePD several police officers saved a very senior dog from a storm drain she fell into. They very often save choking babies and save people from drug overdoses. They are not all bad. Not even close. It breaks my heart that they and their families and friends are having to hide how they feel about them. 

Respected Contributor

No, they're not all bad. But as long as the good ones stay silent or look the other way, nothing will change.

Contributor

Do not judge someone unless you've walked in their shoes.  There is always 2 sides to a story.  And guess what.  I'm not "white".  I'm not racist.  I know if a cop follows me and tells me to stop, I stop.  If you're not guilty of something, why run?  I was raised to respect everyone, no matter their race, religion or profession.  I don't make excuses for bad, evil people.  It's a battle between good and evil.  Please, don't play the victim.   That's how the ******* agenda controls people.  Same as some media outlets.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

No, they're not all bad. But as long as the good ones stay silent or look the other way, nothing will change.

How many media outlets showed the funeral of the retired 77 year old police captain who was shot dead and died in the street while people walked on by during protests. He was an African American btw. How many black lives matter members or supporters have mentioned any of the police who were harmed or killed in their protests. Silence is on both sides. 

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Right, if you had a doctor who was incompetent, or dangerous wouldn't you want his colleagues to speak up ?  Evil can only continue when " good " people stay silent. I don't remember who said that, but it is so true. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan