Respected Contributor

...and too lazy to look into it as I figure you guys know.

So, if I already have the individual HBO and MAX (and all their subcategories) does that mean HBOMAX has new content not available on individual HBO or MAX channels?

I refuse to subscribe/pay for yet another "channel".

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Yes HBOMAX has more and yes you pay for it. Gosh if we got all of these services it would be a fortune. I truthfully don't even know where you find HBOMAX. 

Esteemed Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

...and too lazy to look into it as I figure you guys know.

So, if I already have the individual HBO and MAX (and all their subcategories) does that mean HBOMAX has new content not available on individual HBO or MAX channels?

I refuse to subscribe/pay for yet another "channel".

@denisemb 

I have Xfinity for my cable and internet service. I found out last week that HBO Max was included with the package I have. 

You can sign in your account online and check. 

Trusted Contributor

I have Spectrum and the HBOMAX app is included in my cable package. Is it also another premium tv channel as well? I thought it was only an app. If you don't have it included in your package, or if you don't have cable, then the charge for the app is $14/month.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for asking. Another family member has Direct TV with the HBO package and she keeps getting emails  and info in the mail from Direct TV to sign in to get it for free.  She does not know if it is a temporary Free service . She called Direct TV and the Rep  was of no help . He jsut said some areas don't have it available even if you have HBO package .....   

Valued Contributor

We have Cox cable including HBO which now includes free HBO MAX streaming: we downloaded the app. on our Apple smart phone and got stuck.   Geek Squad techie guy says we cannot "mirror" from the app. to our 13year old Panasonic TV without buying a "Firestick". We are researching firesticks. Read several articles that this has been a mess & confusing to many.  Beware of trying HBO Max if you have Roku TV, supposedly it's like impossible.

Esteemed Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:

We have Cox cable including HBO which now includes free HBO MAX streaming: we downloaded the app. on our Apple smart phone and got stuck.   Geek Squad techie guy says we cannot "mirror" from the app. to our 13year old Panasonic TV without buying a "Firestick". We are researching firesticks. Read several articles that this has been a mess & confusing to many.  Beware of trying HBO Max if you have Roku TV, supposedly it's like impossible.

@birdQ13 
You can go to Amazon and ask about using a Fire Stick with your TV to view HBO Max. 

Respected Contributor

I figured it out for Spectrum.

Our subscription includes HBO.

So go to the app section of your smart tv and select HBO Max.

A code will pop up.

The top of the page will direct you to go to HBOMAX.com/tvsignin

The choice will be to subscribe or log into your provider. The list includes many providers so click on 

You will be asked to log into Spectrum and then the same for HBO Max

The pop up will say Done.

No additional charge

Honored Contributor

I just ordered a Fire Stick this week.  They are pretty cheap, so it's no big cash outlay.   I went to Target online, since I have a Target card and that gives you 5% off and free shipping.   It cost just over $18, including sales tax.   

It is a drag that you keep having to buy more streaming devices.  I have Tivo and Roku, so I fully expected it w/b on one or both of those.

Super Contributor

@granddi  I posted something like this in the Undoing thread but you explained it better than me!  This works for Xfinity too.