Honored Contributor

Concert For George (Harrison)

I wanted to record something that was on PBS so as I was scrolling and scrolling through the programming pages, this tribute concert was on in the background.

First, I have to admit, I really disliked the Beatles, nothing really against them, but someone I loathed (actually a group of people) worshipped them and the music was on morning, noon and the middle of the night.  So you know how that goes, the music is a memory and the memory isn't a good one....

Anyways, I couldn't see the Tv screen because the programming guide was up, but I really liked what I was hearing.  I mean-- really liked what I was hearing.  

So the concert was back in 2002, a year after George died and I'm sure I'm the only human being that had never seen or heard about it. 

But the group of musicians was unbelievable that performed this tribute. 

And his young son, Dhani (he was about 24 at that time) had such a likeness to his dad and I felt so bad for him because it had to have been emotional only losing his father the year before.  But he played so well and here he was amongst many of the greats so although it was probably such an honor, it had to be bittersweet, too.

I think it was Paul McCartney who quipped towards the end of the program that George's widow said something like 'with Dhani up on stage it was like George was still young and the rest of them got old'.

Anyone else just catch this gem for the first time like me?

Honored Contributor

Re: Concert For George (Harrison)

@Lucky Charm   I have seen it before but just wanted to say i've heard McCartney say also:  "When I've played [ guitar] with Dhani, I feel like I'm playing with George, but only I have aged."

Dhani is certainly George's lookalike; no Maury Povitch DNA testing necessary to determine paternity!

Honored Contributor

No and I'd never heard of it either. I'll look for it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

You lost me at 2002.....

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm I happened on it a few weeks ago - I only saw maybe the last 1/4 of it.  Absolutely loved it.  I've been trying to find a replay on our local station but nothing so far.  I was also taken with how much Dhani looked like his father.  He seemed really sweet too.  Yes, I heard that comment by Paul .... funny and so true!

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

I am like you I had never heard of it before now and stumbled onto it on PBS a couple of weeks ago. At first I thought I was looking at George and then to find out it was his son, I couldn't believe the resemblance to his father. So you aren't the only one to not have heard of it. The thing I really couldn't believe is how long ago it was recorded.. 2002. Time doesn't wait for no one. 

Super Contributor

I stumbled upon it last year or so on PBS. I
thought it was wonderful and really enjoyed it . When I realized who the young man on stage with the guitar was I wanted to know more . Such a resemblance to his dad and wonderful tribute. Love to see it again!
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm

In the movie Pulp Fiction one of the characters has a line..

"There are only two kinds of people.  Elvis people and Beatle people."

Since I have never been able to wrap my head around how on earth Elvis became famous, I guess I can understand your Beatles antipathy!

However, it is never too late to save yourself, as of course, people who do not like the Beatles are not getting into Heaven. (A joke, folks!)

I saw the concert on my PBS station as well, and they mentioned that it was being taken out of mothballs for a special showing because it has always done well for PBS as a fundraiser.

The cast of musicians is like a Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame and since it aired in 2002 many many of them are gone now as well. The camera pans this massive band as they play the song "Wa-Wa" and it is absolutely amazing to see the three drummers (RINGO!)

are sitting nowhere near each other, but the strokes of the sticks is like watching synchronized swimming!  Incredible talent can't be faked.

When John Lennon died I had tears streaming and my father said "Why the h***

are you crying?"  I told him "They were my friends!"  They spent every afternoon with me after school in my room while I did my homework.  When Paul and Ringo go it will truly mark the end of something the world may never see again.  I know that today we have media (mainsream and social) megastars who are always the next Beatles.

They are usually warm milk after a year or two.  Check back after 50 years and see if they still sell.  The Beatles still sell in the millions TODAY!!

I am sorry for this long tirade, but I heard the word Beatles and I was off to the races!

Honored Contributor

I have always loved the Beatles and Elvis and always will.

🎶🎶🎶🎶💃🏼🕺🏼🎶🎶🎶🎶

Respected Contributor

George was always my favorite Beatle. And I adored Elvis. Smiley Happy