Regular Contributor

I never thought I would say bring on the commercials.  The Discovery Channels are now showing a large ad for their Discovery + in the upper right hand corner of the TV on every channel under their umbrella. ANNOYING!!!  It only goes away when a commercial comes on.  Never mind not signing up for +, but they'll drive me and, I'm sure, many others away.Smiley Mad

Trusted Contributor

this ad is played as much as or more than the medicare ads!  Annoying as Discovery streaming jumped on the streaming bandwagon too late in the game.....most households get streaming for free or have made their choices on what streaming services they want to loose.  Especially when most get the Discovery channels already...it is going to be a hard sale for them

@cuddles wrote:

I never thought I would say bring on the commercials.  The Discovery Channels are now showing a large ad for their Discovery + in the upper right hand corner of the TV on every channel under their umbrella. ANNOYING!!!  It only goes away when a commercial comes on.  Never mind not signing up for +, but they'll drive me and, I'm sure, many others away.Smiley Mad

@cuddles wrote:

Respected Contributor

@cuddles wrote:

@cuddles 

Same thing on Food Network and it's very distracting and I can't keep my eyes on the show because it keeps coming up in my vision.

Regular Contributor

@SWEET wrote:

@cuddles wrote:

@cuddles 

Same thing on Food Network and it's very distracting and I can't keep my eyes on the show because it keeps coming up in my vision.

Food Network is one of the Discovery Channels along with HGTV, Animal Planet, ID, OWN and maybe a couple more.  They all have the &(^% up in the corner.

Honored Contributor

While this sort of thing is a major turn-off for me, too, it must work.

I'm kind of tired of the whole thing.   I pay quite a bit of money for cable, to have all the channels, and then the move shows to yet another streaming service that you have to pay for.  

I have Prime, Netflix, HBO Max (no extra charge since I have HBO), and Hulu (I got on the $1.99 a month for a year deal and I'll reassess after that ends).  

Those, plus cable, are enough.    Yet all this stuff is moving to that Disney+ one and the Peacock one and, who knows what else.  I can't keep up.

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddles  It is beyond distracting! I was watching FN pretty much yesterday and this morning because I like Delicious Miss Brown and Girl Meets Farm. It's as annoying as that Going, going gone pop-up on QVC. And,I'm not going to pay more money on top of my already high cable bill.

Trusted Contributor

Discovery+ is a definite no for me. $4.99/mo with commercials! If you want commercial-free it's another $2/month. All of those channels show waaaaay too many commercials anyway; they even lengthen the running time of some of the programs to fit them all in. That, plus all of the promos they run for their own programming is a definite turnoff. And with a few exceptions, the programming itself is simply not worth the extra money. I pay enough for cable.

Respected Contributor

@cuddles wrote:

@SWEET wrote:

@cuddles wrote:

@cuddles 

Food Network is one of the Discovery Channels along with HGTV, Animal Planet, ID, OWN and maybe a couple more.  They all have the &(^% up in the corner.

I am aware  of this since my niece works at FN and she told me this years ago which I didn't know back then.