Honored Contributor

Commercials that make me go Hmmmm

This is not one of those I hate this commercial threads.  

Today I saw a Subway commercial with several celebrity sports people it.  Steph Curry gets ready to speak and Tom Brady jumps in front of him and gives the tag line.  At the end of the commercial Tom Brady is extolling the virtues of a partcular sandwich and Steph Curry asks "Do you even eat bread?" to which Tom responds 'It's a commercial, Seth."

So, that got me thinking.  Why is someone who has been so forthcoming about how restricted his diet is and gives it credit for his good health and ability to continue to play football at his age do a commercial for something he obviously would never eat?  That's a rehtorical question since I know the answer is $$$$, but it still makes me go Hmmmm.  I'm sure there are lots of things that he actually uses that he could make commercials for, so why do one for something you don't use?

Also, during the Olympics, I saw a commercial where one of the Olympic swimmers talked about how migraines had affected his life and how talking to his doctor and the right treatment helped.  The ad was for a particular migraine drug which I don't remember the name of.  I think it's new.  However, the print at the bottom of the screen that nobody reads said that said Olympic swimmer did not use that product for his migraines.  Really?  I find it so misleading, but I guess that's how truth in advertising works these days.

Honored Contributor

Re: Commercials that make me go Hmmmm

As you said, sales is all about the Benjamins, no matter what they're selling.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Although I have not read Tom Brady's book, I am aware that he follows a fairly strict low inflammatory diet to maintain good health and his athletic abilities.

I too thought it strange he'd be doing a commercial for Subway.  Bread, Tomatoes, Processed Deli Meats, unwanted Fats/Oils - not foods he eats.  He obviously doesn't need the $$$$.  I've thought hmmmmm about it too.

Another hmmmmmm'er is for an anti-depressant drug - why take only one drug when two can be better?  Cat Surprised

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

That commercial is the closest Tom Brady's mouth has ever been to a Subway sandwhich!  Subway Franchisees are petitioning corporate to get rid of Rapino because of backlash from customers. Drama even in commercials.  

Trusted Contributor

@mspatmac  How could you possibly know that?    

Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@Junebug54  It's been reported on various legitimate news sites, not just tabloids.  You can google for more information as I can't post links I don't think.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@Junebug54 wrote:

@Junebug54  It's been reported on various legitimate news sites, not just tabloids.  You can google for more information as I can't post links I don't think.

@mspatmac @Junebug54  I remember seeing a few years ago pictures of Tom and his wife in Italy. They said sometimes we enjoy life as they were eating pasta,etc. and drinking wine. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with the commercial that the op mentioned but I am tired of seeing all of these actors and actresses and sport figures doing all of the commercials.  

Apparently the companies all think that we will be enticed to either buy their product or ask our doctors about a certain medication because some actor or sports figure tells us how they use it and how great it is.  

I'm so grateful for the mute button on my remote.  When Khloe Kardashian or Whoopi Goldberg come on to the screen extolling the virtue of their migraine headache medication I can't hit the mute fast enough.  

I also feel the same about Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Garner selling the drug store brand of skin care products.  Like we are supposed to believe that these women with all of the expensive products that are readily at their disposal just pop into CVS and pick up a bottle of Jergens lotion.  

Esteemed Contributor

A few of the reasons why I mute most commercials.  Don't need their drama.  I pretty much know when someone is trying to hoodwink me and I don't fall for it.

Respected Contributor

The commercials mentioned turn me off for the same reasons and I will continue to spend my money elsewhere.